Autopilot advice needed

keep it reel

Cadet
I have a 23'trophy with a 4.3 and a merc outdrive. I have not had the boat long. I took it out for a spin and to test the boat. I tried the autopilot and works but wonders to the left and right real bad.It is a raytheon st5000. I have calibrated it and it didn't help. It does not have a rudder reference unit on it. I called the dealer near by and I'm looking at around $600 installed for one. Has anyone ever had this problem and installed one. I just hate shelling out that money and it not make that much of a difference. The service guy at the marine said it would make a huge difference but, he's selling the.
Thanks for any advice

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Autopilot advice needed

You'll need a fluxgate and a rudder position transducer if you want to do things right.

How bad is the wonder?

keep it reel

Cadet

dingbat thanks for the reply.
"You'll need a fluxgate and a rudder position transducer if you want to do things right".
What is this??
I am only interested in using it at trolling speed(2-3mph). She wonders real bad. Probably 15-20' each side before she starts too correct itself. Way to bad to troll with.

budsbud662

Seaman

What if you only troll with the wind? the boat should almost drive itself without AP into the wind???????