HELP! SHIFT ROD - 1988 Evinrude V4 90hp

jersatx1

Recruit
Just bought a 1987 Allweld 18' boat with a 1988 Evinrude V4 90hp motor. The boat and motor sat in a garage for about 4 years. I cleaned out the gas tank, changed the plugs, wires, gas lines, bulb, water separator filter, put on a new battery, hooked it up to the water hose and got it started like a champ. Good water flow and ran good. So, I took it to the lake to baby it around the boat dock to see how the motor ran before tearing the boat apart to restore it. After about 30 minutes of running, and running great, I decided to open it up. I got about 200 yds from the dock, looked at the motor to ensure it was still pumping water (since I hadn't changed the impeller yet), and it was, and I opened it up. Ran great. But, about 50 yds from the dock it lost all power and I looked back and it had stopped pumping water. I shut it down and coasted into the dock, loaded it up and havn't tried to start it since. First question is based on anyones experience, do you think the powerhead has been damaged? Second, and the big one, I'm about to get the cutting torch out after this shift rod. I have the OMC manual, I have photos and all. But it aint that easy. I've put it in reverse, I've removed the retaining clip, and I've disconnected the shift cables. The problem is, I cant get a wrench, socket, exension, anything in to the only bolt I can see at the shift rod. There seems to be a pin that goes through the shift lever and through the shift rod. On either side of this pin, there is no bolt or retaining clip or anything. There seems to be a "clamp" with a 3/8 bolt that needs to be loosened but it faces down towards the motor cover/housing with only about 1/4" clearance. Don't know how to get in to it w/out tearing apart the engine. Any help, tricks, etc. would be appreciated for the sake of my motor. Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP! SHIFT ROD - 1988 Evinrude V4 90hp

Edit: You don't need to remove or loosen that bolt. I believe that you need to pull the clip out and then pull the port side of the connector to you to release the rod.

Attachments

• Clip shift release.JPG
    Clip shift release.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1

SML Boomer

Cadet

I just dropped the lower unit on mine to replace an impeller on a 1988 100 HP and you DO NOT have to loosen any bolts or cut anything to disconnect the shifter rod. You do have to pull the retaining pin. The mechanism holding the shifter rod will then slide to one side freeing the shifter rod. Getting it back in is a little more aggrevating so be sure to have plenty of light. Use needlenose pliers to hold the shifter rod in line and slide it back the way it came off. With pliers you can also move the shifter up or down slightly as needed. Be sure to put the retaining pin back in once assembled.

slikciv99

Cadet

If the 88 is anything like my 83 rude, that shift rod screw was, first, the hardest to find, and second, hard to get out and back in. I didn't know what the manual was showing when I was dissasembling the powerhead so I just skipped it until I found it when the powerhead wouldn't come off. I had to use 2 swivel adapters on a 1/4 inch racthet to finally get it off. For those that don't know, they look like little u joints for an extension on a ratchet. When I reinstalled it, I used superglue and glued it to my screwdriver before I tried to put it back in. Hope this helps....

jersatx1

Recruit

Thanks ezeke, I'll try this tonight.

I'm worried now that I may have damaged the powerhead when the impeller went out on me. I don't think it got too hot because I was only about 50 yds from the dock, but it did lose all power.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When they overheat, they often bind up without doing a whole lot of damage. You have to treat it like a disaster though, so get a new set of head gaskets so you can take the cylinder heads off and check everything out. You will need a torque wrench. Remember to re-torque the head bolts after you run the motor a while.

While you wait, keep the cylinders well oiled because the extra heat will have dried them out and if the head gaskets blew you may have water in there. If you check with a auto parts store, they usually have some aerosol fogging oil that you can spray into the spark plug holes to get oil in there. Spray liberally, then turn the flywheel clockwise, then repeat. If you can't find fogging oil, tip the motor and pour some TC-W3 oil in.

jersatx1

Recruit

ezeke, I really appreciate the information. I got home last night and with your drawing and help, had the impeller out and back in in about an hour. Great help and much appreciated. I'll do that with the head gaskets and fogging oil. A local boat place told me something similar this morning but not exactly. They said to first to a compression test. If that's good, spray the fogging oil in the cylinders and rotate the fly wheel. Then try and crank it up and baby it for a few minutes.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Great. If you don't replace the cylinder head gaskets, at least re-torque the head bolts or have your mechanic do it.

If you keep an eye on the spark plugs, they will come out steam cleaned if there is water in there. You might also see steam in the exhaust.