MERC 170/3.7L, 4 cyl Ignition Problems

Bullfrog56

Recruit
PROBLEM:

Just thought I would see if ya'll could help me out. :D Ok, here we go, I have a 1986 Merc 170 (224ci) Inline 4cyl which has lost spark. It has the Delco electronic ignition and an externally resisted coil. No spark at plugs. No spark from high tension lead on coil to ground. Neutral switch checks out ok. Has 12V power tapped from purple wire which goes to elec. choke, which has 12v w/key on. It also has a purple/yellow coming from starter solenoid. Connections to the coil are; 12V blue (pulled from purple power with a with tap), purple/yellow, purple res. wire, red from dist. all on + coil; gray from tach and black from dist., on - coil). Replaced the coil, but it is not a marine coil, just a generic coil with an internal resistor from Advanced Auto ( I know bad idea right), no spark still. I am now wondering if I might have a problem with the electronic ignition. Is there any way to check the elec. ignition out? Also, does it matter as to weather the coil is internally or externally resisted? Any thoughts?

HISTORY:
(For fun and reference)
Bought 1986 Sea Ray Seville II CC (170 Merc / Alpha I) last fall and boated for around 10hrs and lower unit failed. She overheated slightly while nursing back to a marina. Has a lot of BlowBy so I cleaned out bilge and fixed a few leaks (coolant, PS fluid). Parked for winter. Fixed heat exchanger endcaps which had lost seal over winter (hmm, frozen water maybe???:eek:). Replaced lower unit with SEI. Took back out to lake last month to break in unit, everything running, no leaks, still blowby although it is running 3700rpm instead of 4750rpm (checked with dwell meter), but this is with 14X19 prop instead of 13X21. I could live with these until this winter when I could rebuild. Well, a few weeks ago I took out my nephew and cousin for some fishing, we putted around for about 4hrs and noticed temp rising. Had lost coolant and needed a little oil. Went back to dock to find the coolant leak and she has not had fire since.

I will try to get some pics of the set-up.

Please forgive my grammar. :rolleyes:

Maclin

Admiral
Re: MERC 170/3.7L, 4 cyl Ignition Problems

If replacing the coil did not change what it was doing or not doing then I would put the old coil back in. If you use a coil with internal ballast resistance in place of one without then you need to bypass the external resistance and make sure the coil gets a full 12 volts.

If you search thru recent threads you should find a troubleshooting chart or two, and I am sure one of them deals with your type of ignition.

Bullfrog56

Recruit
Re: MERC 170/3.7L, 4 cyl Ignition Problems

Maclin, thanks I think I will put the old one back in. I have run through the SELOC manual troubleshooting, but it addresses the points system. Is it possible that the electronic ignition has failed?