Evinrude '99 150 Check engine water in fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sslick

Recruit
I have a '99 150 Ficht Evinrude that is experiencing an intermittent check engine light. I attempted to manually read the codes by removing the TPS and holding it full open, and then turning the key on, I received 25 flashes then a pause and 5 flashes... Since this didn't seem to provide a code in the way my mechanic thought it should I had him come out with a laptop and read them with the diagnostic tool kit. The only code he pulls is 37- water in fuel. We changed the fuel filter and dumped the gas in a glass jar and could see no water.

We topped off the tank which was under 50% full and the code returned. We then checked the filter again and no water so we replaced the sensor in the fuel filter. Code returned. We would not typically get the code at idle speed, but within a few minutes of a short run we would get the code. The code will sometimes clear itself during the run.

My mechanic thinks its a bad computer but I thought I would check with you guys and see if anyone else has any ideas. I am a little concerned that the readout I received from the check engine light seemed to represent a code 25 and a code 5 but my light flashed a total of 25 times not just 2 and then 5 like I think it is supposed to... Also I did some test runs with the water in fuel sensor disconnected and I found with it disconnected I don't get an alarm unless I go over 4000 RPM, this seems a little strange to me, I would think if I am still getting an alarm with it disconnected maybe we are just not getting the correct code from the laptop? But then again, when the sensor is connected the code comes and goes at varying times...

So I am at a lost, I can cross my fingers and drop 1K for a computer and hope that solves my problem. But I am concerned with the fact that a manual read of the codes shows something different than the laptop and that with the water in fuel sensor disconnected I could potentially use my boat without an alarm as long as I stay under 4k RPMS, but what would cause the alarm to sound every single time I pass 4000 with the water in fuel sensor disconnected?

Sorry for such a long post, it has been a long weekend.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.