Ted Williams Impeller

Klrtim

Recruit
I bought an old Ted Williams 5.5 outboard model # T-643-20B. This is my first boat motor. I changed the plug cleaned the carb and it fired right up! Now I do not know if the impeller is working in the leg? Where does the water get pulled from and where does it come out? I ran it briefly in a garbage can full of water. And should I change it and if so what do I need and how to do it. Hey, I know it's alot to ask but my son and I thank you in advance as we want to get out there fishing. Tim

Re: Ted Williams Impeller

I have this same motor!!

The powerhead on this outboard is air cooled but the leg on this motor is water cooled. There are two holes 3/4 of the way up the leg shaft. These are the exhaust holes. If your impeller is working properly you should get a combination of exhaust and water coming out of these holes. It's not a straight spray but more a sputtering spitting of water that should come out of these holes. If this is happening you should be good to go. If not, the impeller needs to be replaced. You can order this part from searspartsdirect.com. Just log on and enter your model number in the appropriate field. It will bring up a diagram for all the parts in your motor. You can also go on ebay and get a copy of the owners manual for this motor if you need more instructions on exactly how to do the repair.

I hope this helps.