What would be a good engine to practice on?

mckeon

Recruit
I am a new boat owner and very eager to learn how to troubleshoot / repair my own boat. I learned about auto engines by tearing apart and putting back together the engine of my '73 Nova and I am now wondering what a good candidate for a practice Johnson outboard would be. Part availability, repair manual availability and clarity, and relative simplicity are the characteristics of my ideal practice engine. I realize this is not necessary, but it would be loads of fun to have a practice engine sitting in the garage that does not need to be assembled and functioning every time I want to hit the lake. Please weigh-in with your recommendations for the ideal practice Johnson outboard engine (year / model / hp). After all, if having an engine to tear apart and put back together doesn't excite you, you're in the wrong forum!!

Thanks for any advice you have!

Trexmarc

Cadet
Re: What would be a good engine to practice on?

Try the 3hp Evinrude/Johnson made 1952 to 1968. I own three of these. They are aways on ebay and easy to ship. Tom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

J/E late 50's early 60's 10-18 hp. this way you have a shifting lower unit.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

In my view any engine in 15 - 40 HP range with a remote shift mechanism would be ideal and it doesn't matter what brand it is. Those engines are all very similar conceptually and very much in demand used. Most are two or three cylinders, some older Mercs are four cylinders and even that doesn't matter. A cylinder is a cylinder whether you have one or a dozen. Parts are available for most brands although Chrysler/Force may be getting a little more scarce. If you stick with Johnson, Evinrude, Merc or Yamaha, fix it up and get it running well you may even make a little money on it. Buy it broken, buy it right, and fix it properly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

totally agree, but you get attached to them.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try the 3hp Evinrude/Johnson made 1952 to 1968. I own three of these. They are aways on ebay and easy to ship. Tom

How do you ship your motors and what dose it cost?:confused: