Force 85hp Electrical Problems...Need Advice!

wku403

Cadet
i have just recently bought an 89 bayliner capri with the 85 hp force motor with L-drive. I rebuilt the starter and got it to turn over, after not starting i checked the plugs for spark, only the middle cylinder is getting spark and the top and bottom arent(3cylinder). I traced the problem back to the cd boxes, there are two(blue). I switched the leads from the middle plug to the top and bottom and found by doing this they will both have spark but only one at a time. Do you think that it is the cd box or possibly a stator problem? how can i test it? Also what exactly does a CD box do? since the one plug is getting spark can i run leader wires off the good wire to the other two coils or is there a timing issue involved. Any help is appreciated. thanks

skinndogg04

Cadet
Re: Force 85hp Electrical Problems...Need Advice!

the cd module is the brains of the ignition system,for starters you can try and rule out the boxes, get a pen lite tester with an alligator clip on the end of it.1st box take off the(i believe its the same on an 85)balck/yellow killswitch wire,take the alligator clip attach it to the cd ground,there should be a what looks like 2 fuseable link wires comming off the box,cept theres no fuses in em.blue/orange and white/orange. take the pen end of the tester and touch it to the blue side wire comming out of the box as well as the orange/white comming out of the box.if it lights up,the circut is good and the box is good, try this with both boxes, if they both work, your next step would be the stator and or trigger,hope this helps..