Outboard Talk

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone here have any experiences with the mid-range Mercury EFI 4 strokes? Im most interested in a 115HP version. I looked at the weight, and the weight of this particular 4 stroke is only a matter of less than 50lbs over many 2 strokes. Anyone that knows about these motors some, I would appreciate your input.

I will possibly be repowering a 1200lb (dry weight) modified V Center console. I'm looking at all my options for a repower. The 115HP seems to me to be the best overall for efficiency. I'm also curious about the Yamaha 4 stroke, Suzuki 4 stroke, newer Johnson 2 strokes.

Just looking at the best options, for some reason...pricing these outboards out is a nightmare online...does anyone have a go to place to look up what used/new motors actually cost (ball park).

Cory

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard Talk

I have an 07' 90 Merc 4 stroke (Same basic engine as the 115). It has about 65 hours on it so far. At around 50 hours I had a problem with the starter. Occasionally it would not engage when you first turned the key. Had to bump it a few times till it turned over. Took it to the dealer at the lake, he immediately replaced the starter with an updated version and no problems since. Never left me stranded, just a little aggravating. It's my understanding that all the new models now have the updated starter. Other than that, it's ran perfectly, has plenty of power and is smooth and quiet. You might look at Ed's Marine Superstore for prices, but those are bare bones quotes and don't include controls, installation, Etc. Mine cost me $7240.00 last year as part of a package on a new boat..

http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outboard Talk

Had the Merc 115 on my last boat and was quite impressed with fuel efficiency, smoothness, noise level at idle ? always ran perfectly. A little loud at midrange and WOT for a 4-stroke. Can?t speak for longevity as I only had it a few years. Currently run a Yamaha F150, which seems a little more refined in design and engineering, also an excellent motor. If I had it to do over, I?d consider the Yamaha F115 and go with the best deal.