What caused my Fuel Pump to die? VP 7.4Gi

Flydino

Cadet
I am wondering what are some of the things that can casue a fuel pump to break.:confused:

I have a 1999 volvo penta 7.4gi engine. I replaced the Low presure pump at the end of last season(it died) and just this weekened my High presure pump died on our second trip of the season.

Now, last season the high presure pump was acting up. It sometimes wouldn't prime and if I wiggled the electrical wires to the pump it would prime. Not so anymore.

I read on here that running the pumps with no fuel can damage them, but I don't think that applies here. I don't see how it would be possible to run my engine without fuel.

Can some kind of electical problem casue them to go? What is the life expectancy of a fuel pump? It seems suspicous that they both went at around the same time.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What caused my Fuel Pump to die? VP 7.4Gi

Running an electric fuel pump WILL kill it in short order. The engine does not have to running for them to run. Fuel cools it, and even if ran for about 20 seconds, damage could occur from overheating. Are you the original owner?

It does sound to me like maybe your pumps were killed by moisture that got into it. I don't think any electrical gremlins killed them, but you can check the voltage at the pumps.

Electric pumps, like anything else, do fail. Those are 9 years old, so maybe it was their time.....​

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When your low pressure pump failed your high pressure was running hot because of insufficient fuel flow to cool the pump motor.

When a low pressure pump fails you might as well change the high pressure at the same time. Especially in boat

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Air and water are the 2 biggest killers of those style pumps. IF you can wiggle the connection, then thats another problem with the connector.May be corrosion, or just loose and needs new ends in the connecter. Low voltage can also take out the motor on the pumps. Again, that could be caused by the connecter.

Flydino

Cadet

Thank you for the replies and sheding some light on the problem.

I am the original owner of the boat and i have replaced one of the fuel pumps before, about 4 years ago. I don't know which one as I didn't fix it.

Now I will have to wait for the new pump to arrive and see what happens after I install it.

Thanks again. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replacing a failed part is easy for anyone to do. Finding out why the pump failed so it doesn't happen again is what seperates a Professional from "just another boat mechanic".