boat and motor repair jobs??

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
are there any jobs out there for boat restoration and repair or customizing?

and motor repairs?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: boat and motor repair jobs??

Sure. Where there are boats, there are boats that need work. What training do you have in that area?

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have no training in that area, but love working on boats and motors and customizing.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your best option is to buy used boats, find a very good deal, there's tons out there, you just need to search and take your time, put the minimum, money wise into it to be able to sell it with a profit , having space helps a lot. I do it as a hobby because I love boats and find it rewarding selling a good boat to someone that couldn't afford more expensive ones. And of course I love traveling :)

Marc..

chuck57

Recruit

Marc,
I am trying to work on an old 9.5 Evinrude Sportwin model 9722. I am having trouble finding places that sell parts. Any suggestions as to how I find a source?

chuck57

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have no training in that area, but love working on boats and motors and customizing.

One thing that I forgot to mention, spend a lot of time reading everything related to boats. Just two years ago, I didn't know anything about boats, I read a lot, I asked a lot of question, when somebody would asked a question in a boat forum I would actually try to find the answer even if the problem wasn't related to mine but I would learn at the same time, I still have lots to learn but thank god we have places like iboats
Good luck
Marc..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As rapidly as the outboard (and I/O) industry is changing, these days the most important tool in the techs assortment is a laptop and the engine manufacturers diagnostic software. Without it, working on EFI/DFI engines is beyond the shade-tree mechanics abilities. You will continue to have work for awhile on carbed two and four strokes but without specific training on the various high tech motors, you will likely do more damage than good. Start shot-gunning an ECM engine and you will have an expensive repair bill in a hurry and an unhappy customer. Unhappy customers will kill a business in a hurry.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i do as above, i do restores my self. i keep busy, make enough to pay for may hobbie. and yes, it is very nice to sell a safe boat to someone who cannot afford a big price tag. Just sold one a month ago, to a young man and his cute 3 year old boy, so they could have some quality time. the young man had just returned from Iraq, after 15 months. there was as much pleasure watching that boy, play in the boat, as it was to restore it. buy the time we finished the paper work, and got it to tow vehicle. the boy new every inch of that boat.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have thought about buying an old run-down boat with a decent motor, and restoring it and sell it, i have been looking for a while.

like the boat in my avatar, it sat in the woods for 5 years, was full of leaves and in really bad shape.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Advertise on Craigslist under "boats" and see if anyone calls. I found my current mechanic that way - a 20 year old kid who works in the shop of a Marina during his summers. My boats an old one so I don't want to pay $90/hr. for work done on it and he's $30/hr. Hard worker too.

Point is, some folks will take a chance on someone with little experience IF you have something to show them - like the boat you re-built for yourself. For mods and body type work, I'd go to someone who could show me they've done similar work. Heck I know a guy who does that for a living and get referrals from most of the marinas now, as they only want to do the engines - at least during the boating season here (no time to patch/mod/fix).

Think of some mods that might be of interest, post an ad each week and go from there. Mention deck/stringer work and I'm sure someone who just found out he has a ruined deck will call desperate for someone who knows how to fix it!

Last edited:

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks tmh, im 17 and i do alot of woodworking, im looking for a boat for a summer project.

i would run an ad in the local classifieds, but i live in the middle of the woods about 30 miles from the nearest big town.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks tmh, im 17 and i do alot of woodworking, im looking for a boat for a summer project.

i would run an ad in the local classifieds, but i live in the middle of the woods about 30 miles from the nearest big town.