Fuel tank vents

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Good Everybody,

I've got some questions regarding the position or if I can reposition my fuel tank vents.
The boat is a 89 Lund Tyee with a 3.0L alpha one. Currently the fuel fill is on a top side surface about 8 inches forward from the transom. Here's the problem, the fuel tank vents are on the transom itself a few inches down from the "rub strip" thing. The problem comes when I'm still fishing and someone comes by with a larger boat half planed or if I need to back up and there's a chop, , you guessed it, water in the tank. This has happened a couple of times.
So the questions are, can I relocate the tank vents perhaps somewhere forward on boat, maybe on the highest part of the freeboard? Do the tank vents need to be in close proximity to the fuel fill? It seems like they are always pretty close to the fuel fill. I have two tank vents, can I plug one and relocate the other or relocate them both?

If I can relocate these, any advice on a good location would be appreciated.

Thanks Everybody.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel tank vents

Ayuh,.....

It almost doesn't matter Where on the hull you mount them,...
At sometime, somewhere, somehow,.... It's gonna get Splashed......

But,.... There's a Trick to Fix it,+ Not move them......

From the Vent Fitting,.... The Hose has to make an Upward Loop, before dropping to the Tank......

Any water intro'ed to it by a Splash, runs up the loop,+ Back Out the Vent Fitting, instead of into the Tank......;)

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen in the past that you dont want to move the vent too far forward from the tank because it will scew you up when you fill the tank. My old crestliner needed a new tanke I wanted to use the existing vet up on the bow so I ran a long 1/2 conduit tube that fit the vent and tank fitting and had a hard piped vent line.

Well when it came time to fill the tank with gas it wouldnt vent fast enough and the fill line would fill up with gas. I had to wait a bit while the take would vent and then the gas would flow down the vent to get a full tanke of gas.
'
This never created a problem for running the motor but Im sure it could on a larger inboard. This was an outboard.

I like Bond O 's Idea seems ot make perfect sence. Maby you can even turn the vent 90 degrees from how its mounted now to help stop splashes from getting in there as much.

TyeeMan

Thanks for the quick reply guys.
Bond-o, I hear what your sayin. The problem is that the vents are high enough on the transom that about all the rise I could get is the approx 1/2 inch rise that is there already. I could maybe run the lines up into the gunwhale and get a usefull rise but there's just not alot of hieght there.

These vents are kind of wierd looking. I'm used to seeing a vent that looks like a little chrome button with two little holes in it sticking out the side of the boat. The ones I have, , not so much.

I'll wait and see if there are some more replies that might generate some ideas.

Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member

I'll wait and see if there are some more replies that might generate some ideas.

Ayuh,.....

It's Not really Engine Drive related,...
You might have Better luck in the Restoration or General Boating forums.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat topics and question.

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

This might help you. On Chaparral boats their fuel fill has a built in vent. I think the item is made by Perko. That way you can eliminate the original vent altogether.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

When I built my boat I originally located the fuel tank vents on the side and as far up under the rub rail as they would go. In the attached Port Side photo you can see them in the vicinity of the trailer wheels directly under the rub rail. After zipping around offshore and getting them good and wet I ended up with a bunch of sea water in the tanks, right past the inline filter, through the VST and into the injectors. Live and learn ($$$).

I could have probably placed some clamshell vents over them and oriented the vents at a 45 degree angle - aft and down - and probably resolved the problem. I've seen this on some boats and it apparently works. Nevertheless, I relocated the vents in the motor well as far forward and as high up as they would go. See attached Vent Location photo. On my particular boat this totally solved the problem. I have a 25" transom.

Attachments

• Port_Side.jpg
    Port_Side.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Vent Location.jpg
    Vent Location.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0

TyeeMan

Thanks again for the replies. Woodnaut, nice lookin rig, I wish I had a splash well cuz that would be a fine location for fuel vent.
I think I might try and trace down one of those all in one fuel fill/vent combos, it sounds pretty cool