2000 Volvo GL5 Throttle / Shift problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 Larson Cabrio 290 with twin Volvo 5.0 GL PEFS 220 HP with Duo Prop out drives. The throttle, shift, and trim controls on the dual control top mount unit. They are the standard type unit with trim buttons in the port handle. When I put the boat in the water this year, when I went to start the port engine the handle fell off. I was able to get it on and then the neutral button stuck. Oiled and played with it and it seemed to work. This weekend after fixing my cooling problem went for a ride and had an engine quit. When I went to start the port engine again the neutral switch was stuck and all I had was throttle. This time I had to take the control head completely apart. Found the shift levers were hitting the trim switch wires. Could not get it to seat right - finally got it to the point of working enough to get the boat home. Next day I took the thing apart totally and found the wires must have moved. After fixing this problem and playing with the shift adjustment for hours, I got the thing to work. However it seems hard to move in and out of gear - it is harder then the starboard control. I have read that this type of control is prone to problems with the neutral button sticking and causing problems. I am also worried that this problem with happen again because I had no definitive fix. Several questions: Is there some type of friction adjustment on these controls? Does anyone make a dual lever (separate shift and throttle controls for 2 engines) that would would in the same physical space? ( I can always put the trim on separate switches.) Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Jerry

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2000 Volvo GL5 Throttle / Shift problem

I have a few other questions on the above boat, engine, and out drive that I need help on.
1. How do I determine the correct numbers for the 5.0 GL PEFS engine and volvo DP out drive? It seems that they have all kinds of numbers that I cannot figure out like AQ270, DPX, etc. etc.
2. Can you replace the shift cable with the boat in the water or does the out drive have to be removed. I have several manuals and none clearly spells out how to replace the shift or throttle cables.

As stated in my last post I want to change the the engine controls because on one the neutral button keeps sticking and the other one is too hard to push in but I can't find out what controls may work and do I have to replace the cables as well. One is difficult to move.

I have a 2000 Larson Cabrio 290 with twin Volvo 5.0 GL PEFS 220 HP with Duo Prop out drives. The throttle, shift, and trim controls on the dual control top mount unit. They are the standard type unit with trim buttons in the port handle. When I put the boat in the water this year, when I went to start the port engine the handle fell off. I was able to get it on and then the neutral button stuck. Oiled and played with it and it seemed to work. This weekend after fixing my cooling problem went for a ride and had an engine quit. When I went to start the port engine again the neutral switch was stuck and all I had was throttle. This time I had to take the control head completely apart. Found the shift levers were hitting the trim switch wires. Could not get it to seat right - finally got it to the point of working enough to get the boat home. Next day I took the thing apart totally and found the wires must have moved. After fixing this problem and playing with the shift adjustment for hours, I got the thing to work. However it seems hard to move in and out of gear - it is harder then the starboard control. I have read that this type of control is prone to problems with the neutral button sticking and causing problems. I am also worried that this problem with happen again because I had no definitive fix. Several questions: Is there some type of friction adjustment on these controls? Does anyone make a dual lever (separate shift and throttle controls for 2 engines) that would would in the same physical space? ( I can always put the trim on separate switches.) Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Jerry

Hi Chuck,
I have a 2006 Fourwinns VISTA 288 just 52 hours on the clock, with the same Volvo twin leaver control; I also have the same problem, with the starboard lever being very stiff when selecting forward or reverse gear. The Port is manageable but still stiff on the gear selection. As you say the friction adjustment does not solve the problem
To date I have not really solved this issue. It has been suggested to change the cables but with so little usage I'm not that keen to payout for this.
Did you find a solution to your problem?

Regards
Brian

Hi Chuck,
I have a 2006 Fourwinns VISTA 288 just 52 hours on the clock, with the same Volvo twin leaver control; I also have the same problem, with the starboard lever being very stiff when selecting forward or reverse gear. The Port is manageable but still stiff on the gear selection. As you say the friction adjustment does not solve the problem
To date I have not really solved this issue. It has been suggested to change the cables but with so little usage I'm not that keen to payout for this.
Did you find a solution to your problem?

Regards

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As far as the stiff shifting, it's hard to tell without knowing what shifter you have. There really isn't any "Standard" shifter. Some manufactures use OEM (Volvo) controls, some use other types. Best to post a picture of your control so it can be identified.

You have identified your engine with the 5.0GL PEFS number.
Here is a Volvo service bulletin that will explain the numbers.

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/48536964/8abf2e47/How_to_identify_a_Volvo_Penta_gas_engine.html

Your outdrive is a DP-S. Mostly because that is the only duo prop outdrive used that year on your engine.

Here is a chart for identifing outdrives.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/52421696/eb4489e5/Volvo_Drive_Chart.html

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice

Been out of town for a while. Thanks for the response. I was able to take the throttle control handles apart and clean and lube them. I found the port friction adjustment was way to tight. I also found that the cable that ran to the trim switches was causing a bind. I had to file a little more room for the cable and it has helped. The controls are the Merc style ones with a neutral push in button and trim switches in the port handle. Both have neutral detents that are the same with no adjustment but the rest of the movement was where my problem was. I have never had twin out drives before with these kind of controls so trying to find out what is normal is a real learning experience. Thanks for the information on the engine and drives. I downloaded and printed the links.
Jerry

jeffkil

Cadet

I have a 2006 Four Winns 255 Sundowner, Volvo Penta 5.7, single engine, side mount shifter. How do I adjust the friction for the shifter?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you start a new thread with your question instead of tacking on to someone elses question with yours, you may actually get a reply.

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice

I am closing this thread because the only problem I have is with the starboard shift cable which I will replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.