84 Evinrude 30 won't shift

PW

Seaman
1984 Evinrude 30
Model E30ECRR
Serial E0368410

Won't shift into forward or reverse at shift lever on motor. Any idea what worst case repair should cost? One mechanic told me (without seeing it) it might be cheaper to buy a used motor (of course he sells them). Motor runs great.

Thanks for yr help, PW

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 84 Evinrude 30 won't shift

sounds like shift linkage, or the lower unit clutch dog is gone. does it try to go into gear, and come back out? or not try at all.

PW

Seaman

Won't shift into either. Lever on engine moves but doesn't feel like it's hooked up to anything.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Look in where the shifter attaches to the powerhead and see if the rod going down is moving up and down. If it isn't, it's in the shifter, if it does, remove the little grill things down on the lower unit and see if the nut and little plastic expander piece came off. Under the nut, there is a little plastic deal..I call it an expander...if that slipped off the two parts of the shift rod won't be fastened together.

PW

Seaman

Already checked the shift rod behind the cooling intake screens. It is solid. I'm thinking that the linkage between the shift lever and the shift rod has failed. Do I understand from earlier posts that this can be see w/o removing power head?

Thanx, PW

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Should be able to pop the hood and see whether the shifter is moving the rod.