Screw Drive?

I just picked up an old Baha cruiser with a screw drive. Boat is vibrating pretty hard when you increase rpm's. The drive knuckel has newer bolts so I'm thinking I have a shaft problem. I can not find any manuals or information regarding screw drives. Can someone help me locate this information. I ordered a Seloc manual online but it does not cover screw drives.
Thanks, Kevin

tommays

Admiral
Re: Screw Drive?

Whats is a screw drive :confused:

Do you have a shaft and prop coming out of the bottom :confused:

Yes, I have a shaft and prop coming out of the bottom. Always thought that was referred to as a screw drive??

tommays

Admiral

Sometimes there called singel or twin screw boats if they have one or two motors

But your terms are still not telling us what is powering the boat

Like a Volvo or Merc outdrive OR a VEE-drive ,ect

MikDee

Banned

If it is a common inboard drive, it sounds like you have a bent shaft, or damaged prop?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've heard some people refer to their propellers as "screws" ie: Twin screws for a dual drive set up, never a screw drive though.

The most common set up is an Inboard/Outboard or I/O. In which an articulating sterndrive like Mercury's Alpha or Bravo drive is mounted to the transom(back) of the boat.

You just need to figure out what drive you have and the engine it is mounted to. Makes it easier to help. But a vibration like that can be caused by a damaged prop as well, may want to verify there is no damage to it before you get into a costly shaft repair.

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the Coast Guard, we always referred to the prop as a screw.
Erik

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

First things first. Check your cutlass bearing, if there is a lot of vibration this will be the first to show wear. You will need to pull the shaft anyway so while out take it to a machine shop and have it checked for trueness. Then your prop ( or screw ) should also be sent to a good repair shop and have that done over. There are several other things that could be an issue but fixing those two ( or three - with a new bearing ) should solve your problem.
Then you can get into things such as a misaligned engine and / gearbox.
By the way, don't waste your money on a Seloc manual. Guess you've figured that out by now.:D

Thanks folks - that's exactly what I was looking for!

JCF350, that article explained everything!!!

Thanks Again!!