fuel filter canister

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
My Mercruiser Bravo III has a fuel filter which has the words "Mercruiser Fuel Filter" written on a black canister that looks like an oil filter. Is there a filter element that goes into this housing so that the outside canister remains after it is changed? I know that when changing an oil filter the whole canister is changed out. I asked my marina to change the filter and I put a piece of tape on it to know when it was changed. I received a bill for the service but the tape is still in place on the original filter. Could the inside element have been changed without replacing the entire housing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel filter canister

They are designed like an oil filter. Your's just wasn't replaced.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again, Don S. That's what I thought. I'm glad I put the tap on the filter.
RK

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

So you were billed for something that was obviously not done

What else was the boat in for that you paid to have done that wasnt really done I wounder?

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

I've heard of auto mechanic rip offs but I didn't expect this from a marina. It is the only thing I had done by them and hopefully it will be the last. I learned this trick from an expose' I saw on TV about dishonest car mechanics. They marked parts that were supposedly changed and the mechanics were caught in the sting. I'll see what they have to say.

Don S

Just make sure you explain to the OWNER, what you found and why you won't be backl. I'm sure there isn't an owner out there that needs that kind of feedback from a seasonal buisness. My guess is you may have another fuel filter that was replaced, and that one got missed. Boats are not all the same and techs are not always of the highest paid and best trained in an industry that can only work a few months a year.

Coors

Captain

That's why the have the sign" due to insurance..."
To keep you out.
Time to learn it, or change shops.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Don S., I have single engine boat and the Mercruiser service manual that came with the boat only indicates that there is one fuel filter. The only thing I can think of is that there is one other SeaRay Sundancer a few slips away from mine.....could he have repalced it in the other boat? I'll have to see what they say.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

If its a merc there is only one filter. Its posible that the other boat got "free" fuel filter change but the ower of that boat may not even know.

The only hope is the marina knows what slip # yours is and what # did they do the replacemtn on? that would surly answer the question.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

When I went to the Marina today they claimed my original filter was white and that they replaced it with a black one. I was able to print out my threads in this forum and sure enough I documented what I saw on my boat... a black unit with the words "Mercruiser Fuel Filter" The thread is dated before the unit was changed. I guess the mechanic who was assigned the case wasn't going to admit to the truth. perhaps fearing for his job. They offered to put another filter in under my direct supervision. That will assure me that it was changed but I am definetly changing marinas next season. They have a closed policy so that only their mechanics are permitted to work on the boats in their marina. The whole operation smells fishy....no pun intended.

Bondo

Staff member

but I am definetly changing marinas next season. The whole operation smells fishy....no pun intended.

Ayuh,..... Too Bad you're got to wait that long......... They sound like Thievies...

Don S

What's sad, is that places like that make it really hard for honest places, because the are guilty by association.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

What's sad, is that places like that make it really hard for honest places, because the are guilty by association.

Truer words were never typed. A few bad apples can sourer an entire profession. Take car salesmen for instance.