PLEASE HELP - DAUGHTER wants to get boat running again!!

Imagerays

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I DO NOT know much at all about boat motors but I would love to get my Dad's boat running and use it. He passed away last July and I've just gotten the nerve up to want to use it again - it was a very special thing for he and I to go out in it for years.
(MOTOR IS A MERCURY 50HP 1982)
I don't want specific advice on HOW to fix this - I will be bringing it to a shop. I just would like a ball park figure if possible of what I am looking at! I tried to start it and it tried to turn over (barely) - I did know enough to first charge the battery overnight (it showed fully charged on my charger) and put the ears on with the water running, and I checked all the connections on the battery and made sure they were tight and had no corrosion. I then took off the motor cover and saw where the spark plugs were (4 of them) in the back - I pulled the covers off the spark plugs and when I did the 2nd one from the top the other end that goes into the motor just came out - the end looked like a wire had corroded - kind of greenish.

At that point I just said - well - that can't be good! Guess it's going to the shop!

SO, am I looking at a fortune? And I assume that is why it would not start?!

Thanks - sorry guys for the long post!

Ironpig

Seaman
Re: PLEASE HELP - DAUGHTER wants to get boat running again!!

Sounds like the spark plugs may have broken off. If you can figure out how to get the cover off the engine you should easily be able to change the park plugs,or if you have a friend or grandparent/uncle etc they may be able to as well. I would try that first before bringing it in to a shop. The go from there. Good luck with it.

Imagerays

Cadet

Not the spark plugs themselves - the WIRE that goes to the spark plug. The spark plug end with the little rubber covers are fine - it's the other end that goes into the motor that broke.

THanks very much for responding - I so do appreciate it!!

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

No need to take it in yet. Oreder replacement plug wires and hook them up. Just do one at a time so you don't confuse which one goes where. Very simple fix.;)

Imagerays

Cadet

Wow - that is good news - however - did I mention I just learned how to take off the top of the motor? - I don't think I could change the spark plug wires myself - but I guess that's is why it wouldn't start though right?

Maybe it won't cost me a fortune if it is a simple fix though!!! That would be great - since I'm a poor school teacher!

Thanks for replying!!!!!

Alumarine

Captain

It may very well need a spark plug wire or 2 BUT if it just turns over slowly
then it's probably a battery, cable or starter problem.

Spark plug wires won't cause it to turn over slowly unless they are on the wrong plugs. If you just have one bad wire it should still start.

Imagerays

Cadet

hmm- maybe I need to try a new battery - just didn't want to spend $90 on one if I didn't have to -

I was wondering also - I know this sounds stupid but - I seem to remember very faintly about a throttle button on the stick control thing - to put it in neutral to start it - do I just move the stick to the middle or did I need to push in the square throttle button and then move the stick to the middle position - I don't know why I remember this - maybe it was just in a dream??! I did try to push it in though but it wouldn't push in. I did push in the key when I tried to start it (for the choke) and pumped the fuel bulb first too.

Thanks everyone so very much!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Ma'am.

You have at least two problems. A broke spark plug wire and a no-start. With a bit of guidance from the guys on here you can probably fix both without spending more than a few bux. If there are more they will show up later.

Let's look at the no-start first. You have the slow turning starter version. Once in a while a bad starter causes this, but most of the time it is a poor current path to/from the starter.

It takes only the tiniest amount of resistance in a cable or connection to cause that. Many times clean LOOKING, tight connections develop corrosion.

You charged the battery, so forget that for the moment. Let's go after the cables that take power to the starter and return to the battery. Track down and disconnect both cables. Thoroughly clean the connecting surfaces and inspect the cables for swellings (indicates internal corrosion) or weak spots.

The + cable will go from the battery + post to the starter solenoid. The solenoid is a cylindrical device about 1.5" in diameter and usually about 2" long. It will be close to the starter motor.

The - cable goes from the battery - post to the engine block. The point where it is bolted to the engine is the most common location for corrosion because it (the copper lug on the cable) is often bolted to a steel plate with a steel bolt. Most other connections are copper to copper, so there is less chance for electrolysis.

Clean both ends of each cable carefully and reconnect them. Then give her another try.

If that works the engine should turn over faster. It may even start. :)

Let us know what you get for your trouble.

Then we can address the problem with the spark plug wire.

Imagerays

Cadet

Wow, how nice of you to give me such great advice! I will try to look at that and then post back - it may take me a few days to do it but I promise to try it myself before bringing it in. What a treat it would be if I could get it running!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

sounds as you may not have much mechanical know how,, may be best you take it to a good mechanic,,,,,,,,,, sometimes a owner can screw things up and would cost more than if he left it aone,,,,,,, maybe later as you learn more uou will be able to fix minor things

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is not neurosurgery, Jim; not even as hard as spelling and punctuating a post, which she does very well.

I am betting she will get it running by herself, with a little help from her friends here.

Every great wrench starts out knowing nothing.

Imagerays

Cadet

Well...I do teach college courses not elementary school - lol!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I'll get back to y'all!