timing prob ?

noble

Cadet
1967 mercruiser 4cyl. 153in set time at timing gears lined up no 1 cly at top rotor pointed at no.1 wire will not run can get to run by turning or advanceing runs like crap lots of black smoke out exhaust lot of carbon on plugs poss. carb prob too? new plugs points condensor wires cap if you can help would appreiated it.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: timing prob ?

how did you verify that you #1 was on its compression stroke and not it's exhaust stroke?

noble

Cadet

thum on the no1 cly. not shure if it was exgt or intake can not get comp.tester to screw in need adapter

noble

Cadet
timing prob ?

dont seem to be able to get timed. 1967 mercuriser 4cyl. 153cub.in.1not sure how to tell no.1 at top is on exht. or intake have lined up timeing marks on gears put no.1 on top rotor pointed at #1 seem likes it is still 180 out have tried many things but can not to run right I also think i have carb prob lots carbon in exhaut and on plugs

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to bring #1 cylinder up on TDC on the compression stroke. To find this, remove the spark plugs, put your finger over #1 spark plug hole, turn the engine by hand or you can bump it over with a remote start button until you feel compression starting to build. Then continue cranking by hand untill the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley lines up with the timing tab at 0?.
Then your rotor should be pointing at #1 spark plug wire on the distributor cap. If not, remove the distributor and put in proper location, or, you can just change the wires.

noble

Cadet

have done all that but will not run unless i change 180 then it will start but it runs very bad will not run wher it is supposed to .

Don S

Are you sure you have the plug wires on in the right order going in the direction the rotor turns? What shape is the cap and rotor in, how about the points and condenser, are the plugs and wires ok? have you done a compression test yet

noble

Cadet

the points condensor rotor plugs wires and cap are all new. the wires are in the right firing order. 1, 3, 4, 2, to the best of my knowledge the rotor is going clockwise direction. I have not been able to do a complet compression check due to the fact that my compression gauge will not screw into the spark plug holes, I have to get an adaptor. I have used my thumb to know that I have compression on the #1 cyl.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

thum on the no1 cly. not shure if it was exgt or intake can not get comp.tester to screw in need adapter

Well, if you felt compression it couldn't have been intake.

Don S

Why are you starting another post on the same exact thing?????
I am going to merge the 2 posts into one, since it's all the same thing.

noble

Cadet

Why are you starting another post on the same exact thing?????
I am going to merge the 2 posts into one, since it's all the same thing.

sorry its my first time on a forum and my other post was at the bottom and I didnt know how to make it go back up...my daughter is helping me now, so im figuring it out.

Don S

How do you tell if its exhaust or compression?

Read reply #5, I already explained in detail how to find #1 TDC on the compression stroke.

noble

Cadet

I have already set it TDC #1 cyl. Top rotor pointed at #1 wire timing gears are lined up it has new points new plugs new rotor new wires points have been set at .022 plugs set at .35 engine will not start take distributor out turn 180 and can get started but runs very rough have tried many different things but have not done a complete compression check because I do not have an adapter to screw into plug ports.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

if you have to turn the distro 180 degrees just to get it to start a little then your crankshaft is most definitely 180 degrees out also.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

what do i do if the crank is 180 out

Well, nothing now... IF you have it right now. Well, nothing other than make sure it is correctly timed now.

You are 100 percent sure you have the wires on in the correct order? Here's a diagram:

igfig6.jpg

JustJason

Vice Admiral

what i meant was your turning your distro 180 because your crank is 180 off.... In other words... when you installed the distributor you put it on #1 on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke.

PSS-Mag

Seaman

have done all that but will not run unless i change 180 then it will start but it runs very bad will not run wher it is supposed to .

That means your 180? out.
99% that you have set #1 to TDC of exhaust stroke not ignition.

Take timing chain back off.
Follow direction in post #5.
or another way I have found.
Roll up a paper towel and stuff it in the spark plug hole. Turn the engine by hand until it blows the paper towel out. The wadded of paper towel will pop and go flying through the air. Continue turning to TDC. Thats compression.
Reinstall timing chain with marks aligned. then continue with distributer.