61 Evinrude Lark III 40hp (EDIT)

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im looking at picking up one of these for $20. All I know about it right now is that it has no prop and hasnt run in 4 years.
Just wondering, are these ok motors? Thanks

Patrick

Picked it up, looks like its going to need alot of work. So far, nothing is frozze up. Havent had a chance to conect to battery yet put pulled the rope and everything turned justl ike it should. But the rope did'nt recoil. I had to dig this thing our from the side of the guys garage.
Can someone comfirm the year? Model #35525, S/N 08429
Take a look...

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn35/1riordan/

I know the gas can is worth more than the $20 I paid. And the repair manual on iboats is $40.00 so I may just part this thing out. Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Patrick

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 61 Evinrude Lark III 40hp

Re: 61 Evinrude Lark III 40hp

For $20, it's worth a shot. They're good engines, and you won't be out much if it's trashed. You can always part it out on ebay. Just the carb is worth more than $20 at auction. Starters sell well used. Other parts are also popular sellers, too.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 61 Evinrude Lark III 40hp (EDIT)

Just did an edit. Im really interested in what everyone things. Thanks again for your help. Patrick

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a 1961. That was the first year of that style of hood. Previously it looked like a rural mailbox. It runs and that's more than half the battle. To be sure it's reliable you'll want to go over it to make sure the water pump is good and the seals in the gear case keep water out. You could clean the carburetor, go over the wiring and repair any chaffed wires and replace the gas lines. A compression test will give you an indication of the condition of the engine. It's an easy engine to work on and parts are readily available so why not keep her going.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are fantastic little motor. were the cream of the crop in there vintage. simple to work on. if it has good compression and the starter works. it can be like new for around $200 or $250, points,condenser, coils, wires, plugs, impeller and carb kit. the electronics are fairly simple. but needs transom mount solenoid. i have wiring for that.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yup, good advice so far. I'll only add one thing...it's a beast, get some help to move it around. That's its only downside. If the powerhead internals and LU are sound, you have a good motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup, good advice so far. I'll only add one thing...it's a beast, get some help to move it around. That's its only downside. If the powerhead internals and LU are sound, you have a good motor.

They look like they'd be heavy, but they're really not. You do need a couple of guys to put one on a transom, but they're not as heavy as they look.

That one looks like it has the choke deal that uses heat to control the choke. It also looks like it's busted. You'll have to find a replacement, since there's no way to fix that broken off hose connection.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Two guys definitely recommended. Not heavy for 2, but for just me they're a tad heavy. I can't leg squat/bear hug big chunks of iron like I used to...guess I need to eat more Wheaties.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea it looks heavy but its not. Just akward for one person to move. I would like to get it to run. But I cant find where to get parts? Everywhere I look on the web dont go back to the 60's. Besides needing the choke deal like CATransplant mention. I also need the glass bowl from the carb. And there seems like a piece of linkage missing. Im going to try to get the starter to turn here in a day or two. If I can get it to work Ill check the compression. In the mean time, anyone know where I can look for parts?

Thanks
Patrick

Attachments

• Bowl.jpg
    Bowl.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
  • linkage.jpg
    linkage.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1

Clippership821

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got quite a few old parts for my old '61 Johnson from Sea-Way Marine. www.sea-way.com I'm sure that they'd have practically anything you'd need. A parts manual with blow-up diagrams really help. Try www.shipstore.com.. Not least to mention the repair manual.....good luck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Save your money on the choke. Those things didn't work worth beans when they were brand new. Most people open the hood door and put the choke on Manual On or Automatic to start the motor, then flip it to Choke off position.

But do plug the vacuum hose if you decide not to replace the part.

K.B

Seaman

i have a 62 johnny 40 horse with the same carb (probly) that i have the glass bowl and swing if i can find it. think its still on the carb. Yeah, water activated choke! That guy is probly Bush's top adviser!
Send PM if you need the bowl and swing. All I need is a noose to hang whoever gets elected!!!

Oh, and i'm NOT kidding!!

CATransplant

Admiral

Two guys definitely recommended. Not heavy for 2, but for just me they're a tad heavy. I can't leg squat/bear hug big chunks of iron like I used to...guess I need to eat more Wheaties.

I did take mine off and put it back on the transom by myself, but I sure don't recommend it. Fortunately, it went right on, but 150 lb. or so is all I want to do that with, for sure. Two guys make it easy.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

For parts try Twin City Outboards, Laings Outboards or Engine, Blade & Prop (Milwaukee). They're all online.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im looking for a service and parts manual. The closest I can find isfor 1960 lark. Model5520 & 35521. Is there a big differnce?

CATransplant

Admiral

Very little difference. If yours has the hot water operated choke, that might not be in the 1960 manual. Other than that, and that's not even certain, they're virtually identical in construction and service needs.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

How differnt is the 61 Johnson RD RDL 23. I have a 72, 9.5 rude and 72, 9.5 jon. There both the same except for color.

CATransplant

Admiral

No difference, except for the decals and cowlings. If you have a manual for the Johnson, everything's the same as your 61 Evinrude.