Moving fuel tank to under the deck.

AKCoastie

Seaman Apprentice
I found some soft spots in the floor of my 71 Fiberform boat this weekend and decided to replace the floor as a winter project. I have decided to move the fuel tank from portable spots in the rear of the boat, where it's already tail heavy, to a permenant spot somewhere's closer to the middle of the boat. Does anyone have any hints or advice that they may have learned the hard way that can help me avoid any pitfalls.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Moving fuel tank to under the deck.

meet coast guard requirements.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You're going to have to mount it between the stringers to make it secure and you may have to build a frame to the stringers that the mounts on the tank attach to. There are differences in mounting issues to consider depending on if it's an aluminum or plastic gas tank. If you're going to do that might as well make an access panel so you can remove it to check the lines and fittings every now and then. Here's a pic of mine during my rebuild, I just redid the same mounts that were there but stronger:

Attachments

• foam in.jpg
    foam in.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
  • tank mounting.jpg
    tank mounting.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1

AKCoastie

Seaman Apprentice

You're going to have to mount it between the stringers to make it secure and you may have to build a frame to the stringers that the mounts on the tank attach to. There are differences in mounting issues to consider depending on if it's an aluminum or plastic gas tank. If you're going to do that might as well make an access panel so you can remove it to check the lines and fittings every now and then. Here's a pic of mine during my rebuild, I just redid the same mounts that were there but stronger:

How did you do your access hatch in order to make sure it's waterproof?

salty87

Commander

you can buy plastic hatch covers with rubber gaskets. iboats sells some. i bought a 5" round Beckson cover recently that's really nice though you might want larger.