At this point... I think its a new outdrive for me!

Demolitron

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

Well, I pulled the top cover off of my gear shaft housing and found carnage. Below are some pictures of the bearing cup and the gears themselves. I see the gears are rusted, the bearings look shot as well. So, at this point I think it would be cheaper for me to just get a rebuilt drive. Anyone have any options on the Vendor 199 outdrives that are sold here on iboats?

Btw, this was caused by water in the bellows by the previous owner...

I have a 1985 Four Winns with a mercruiser 205 V-6 engine. Here is the drive serial sticker showing the gear ratio.
IMG_1061.jpg

Vendor 199 has this drive "New, 1.62 gear ratio, R/MR/Alpha One", would this one work for my application? Here is the link to the product page on iBoats...http://www.boatmotors.com/motorpart...=202&manufacturer=2&disp2=&cyl=&submit=Search

Here is a link to the photobucket album with more pictures of the damage.
http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk87/LVBoater/OutdriveCarnage/

Thanks!

IMG_1088.jpg

Demolitron

Seaman Apprentice
Re: At this point... I think its a new outdrive for me!

Also, is there a chance this outdrive will hold up for a couple months while I save up for a new Outdrive? We did take this out on a 10 mile test drive with it like this.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also, is there a chance this outdrive will hold up for a couple months while I save up for a new Outdrive? We did take this out on a 10 mile test drive with it like this.

Hang on, I'll check.

Crystalball1.jpg

One way to look at it though, if you put it back and it breaks, it had to be replaced anyway.
It's that long walk home when you are on a broken boat that will get ya.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could try.. but after it breaks and you are stranded 10 miles from the ramp don't tell the guy that gets the pleasure of towing you back in about it.. or he might just tow you farther out and leave ya there..

Demolitron

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I didn't really expect a different answer... Does anyone know a place that buys used outdrives? Do places that rebuilt drives buy used cores?