Help!!! Electric Gremlins!!

ableberry

Cadet
Evening,

The electric gremlins have occupied my '77 35HP Johnson! I ran it today in a test tank and it went for a few minutes then died and refused to even try to start after that.

I started testing circuits and now the starter doesn't even want to fire! My circuit tester tells me that there is no power going to the starter from the relay/solenoid.

Is this an indication of a bad starter relay/solenoid? Would this cause it to die suddenly as it did before? Fairly sure the wires are all hooked up to the right place, since it worked fine before.

Please help me kill the gremlins!!:eek:

-Wes

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help!!! Electric Gremlins!!

is this tiller or remote control, there is an inline fuse near the solenoid, it controls the starting circuit (20 amp).

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad