mercruiser 3.0lx ignition wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentner8

Seaman Apprentice
I have an aftermarket ignition and coil I want to put onto my motor. The coil has four wires instead of the normal 2 that I am used to. I need to know which ones are the ones that fire the coil, and what the other two do if anybody would know.

motor SN: 0f274354 if that helps. The ignition thats going in is an MSD 6T with the antivibration coil. I have read many threads stating I wont notice much, but I dont care, Im going to try it anyway!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 3.0lx ignition wiring

Ayuh,.......

Without knowing what your Starting with,......
I'd have to Guess you're talkin' about the Tach lead,+ the Shift Cut-out Switch wires......

gentner8

Seaman Apprentice

I thought thats what the other wires were to. The thicker ones should be the ignition if im not mistaken. The colors are grey and purple if im not mistaken. If I do add the aftermarket coil, how can I keep the switch properly functioning? Otherwise, I can just use the OEM coil, but Im not sure how long it would last.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why would you want to change the Delco EST (all electronic) ignition to some aftermarket distributor that may or may not work with the shift interrupt system?

gentner8

Seaman Apprentice

Its the same ignition as any other msd6 box. The difference is it has anti vibration epoxy inside the unit, the same as the marine. The difference between it and the marine are the water tight connectors, and a seal of approval. I plan to solder all my connections, so it wont be an issue. In the event of failure, I can always wire the stock system up out on the water. Its only 4 wires.

Also, I have put MSD and jacobs ignitions in almost everything that had a distributor, and ALWAYS noticed some improvement in the way the engine started, idled and had more snappy response. Was it a huge difference, no. Do I still feel its worth the improvement, thats why I am hooking it up. Im not replacing the distributor, just adding the cdi box and coil if possible.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Forget it, unless you plan on changing the distributor as well. The EST distributor has a wired specific coil. It's not your average points distributor upgrade. What you are trying to do may very well damage the EST ignition module. Mercruiser, Volvo, Marine Power, all the 3.0L engine marinizers have moved up to the EST. Now you want to downgrade the EST system, as near as I can tell.

gentner8

Seaman Apprentice

this project is no longer looking appealing. Guess I'll shelf it for the next thing to come along for now.....

Thanks for setting me straight!

gentner8

Seaman Apprentice

Just an update, although a bit late in the year (at least here). Jacobs electronics makes a specific GM adapter for the ignition swap. I did not have to cut or molest the factory ignition at all. Everything functions just like it did before including the interupt. I now have a high performance ignition and a stock one to revert back to. I only need to reconnect the wires at the coil and swap the coil wire from one to the other. The boat runs better, starts easier and faster and idles way smoother. It also cut down a bit on fuel consumption, not that it was bad to begin with, but every bit helps.

Just in case anybody was wondering.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

MAN....... Sounds like you are trying to improve upon a reliable and proven ignition system.... For the life of me I cannot fathom why.... You have a 3.0 reliable, dependable work horse.

I hope it is not for the reason to get more. MPH????

Leave the girl alone.... She will treat you well!

chiefalen

Captain

I know you guys all love the electronic ignition.

I still got points, the 140 transplant came with points.

I'm not doing nothin to the dizzy, i still got the dizzy from the 120, points.

Put that in the basement.

Runs good, just a touch of the key and it starts, runs great ,why change?

gentner8

Seaman Apprentice

Im sticking to my guns. There has not been 1 engine that I upgraded the ignition to that I did not like the results. ;)

GTQ

Recruit
Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 Ignition conversion

Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 Ignition conversion

Engine: 5.7 L Alpha I Gen 2 - original setup Thunderbolt V without Knock Sensor. Recently the Ignition Module crapped out - as expected I found the replacement modules are around $400, so found complete Marine Ignition for under $350.

The replacement Ignition is the Delco Voyager Marine Ignition made to work on the 5.7 L Marine engines and came with coil, wires, cap and rotor and hookup wiring with connectors.

The main hookup wires are violet (+) and Gray (-) and so to run all one needs is to connect these to ignition + and Ground. Easy - Right?!

So the question is - How does one interface the shift interrupt switch wire? (W/G) that originally plugged into the Merc. black box wiring is momentarily switched to ground in order to cut engine, briefly removing load while engaging/dis-engaging the outdrive.

The connections going into the new Delco Voyager ignition are purple (ign +), Gray ( Tach Lead/Coil ), and a three wire shunt connector provided - one wire is black and used to set timing and other two are white looped back to each other.

Although the kit was complete, I did not get any diagram or pinout of the connectors.

Without going into much more detail here, perhaps there is BTDT and this is straightforward - should be. If more detail is needed, I'll fill in the details that I know.

Thanks,

GTQ - www.gtquattro.com and Chesapeake Aero Marine of Annapolis, MD

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whatever floats your boat,do you really think the msd is that much better or did you just want the fancy msd sticker?

Bondo

Staff member

November 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM

Ayuh,.... GTQ,... You'll have to copy,& paste this to a New thread of your Own....

Tacking your question to a thread, well Over a Year Old ain't gonna get you any answers...
And,...
When Don finds it, he'll tell you the same thing, then Lock this thread...

The Archives are for Learnin',... Not posting too....

Btw,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'll see ya in Your Own thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.