Just had to share this

BOBPELL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been a long time since I posted but you gotta read this -

Just found on TCpalm news site, here is the text:

PORT SALERNO ? Members of the Martin County Fire Rescue Hazmat team responded to a fuel clean-up Tuesday morning after a boater pumped gasoline into his fishing rod holder instead of his gas tank.

The boater pumped about 100 gallons of gasoline at the Finest Kind Marina fuel dock before he noticed the problem, but only about 15 gallons polluted the water, marina employees said.

The rest of the gasoline seeped into the boat?s bilge tank, witnesses said.

The man?s fishing boat was towed from the fuel dock to Sandsprit Park so Hazmat officials could secure the fuel, said Jeff Alter, Fire Rescue bureau chief.

Marina employees said it?s not uncommon to see boaters pump fuel into fishing rod holders because the holder is often close to the fuel tank hole.
______

"not uncommon" - how many more boaters like this are out there?

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Just had to share this

We had a similar incident last summer at the marina wherein a young guy tried to pump gas into the stern light receptacle on his boat. Luckily he was only a couple of gallons in before the mess got shut down.
He had borrowed a friends boat or something or other...fairly clueless.
He spent the rest of the day off in one corner of the marina by himself cleaning the boat and the bilge...safely distant.
That incident ended relatively well with hopefully a lesson learned and no real damage to anyone other than this guy's image and his friends boat.
BP :)

BOBPELL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We had a similar incident last summer at the marina wherein a young guy tried to pump gas into the stern light receptacle on his boat. Luckily he was only a couple of gallons in before the mess got shut down.
He had borrowed a friends boat or something or other...fairly clueless.
He spent the rest of the day off in one corner of the marina by himself cleaning the boat and the bilge...safely distant.
That incident ended relatively well with hopefully a lesson learned and no real damage to anyone other than this guy's image and his friends boat.
BP :)

A couple of gallons is almost understandable - 100 gallons????? Can you imagine the odor and the possible fire castrophe???? Hello, Progressive?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

The gas does not go in the rod holder?!?:eek: I guess I need to remove my post asking why I get such horrible gph/mpg and keep smelling gas.:D

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah Fishmen 111, I think you have it figured out!

Are you going to be on the water this weekend? If so, I'll come alongside with a syphon and help you out. Want me to put my cigar out?:p

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Then we will truly have "External Combustion".:D

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I guess if you put enough fuel in it will eventually get to the carb, and away you go!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I dunno. I might be a little out of touch and I'm not up on the latest gadgets....... But the last time I looked, rod holders don't have gas caps.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

At marina fuel prices, I would call that about $450 worth of stupidity! :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

WHen I was a teenager.... I worked at a gas station ..... it was below zero and I had a guy tell me to "fill it up with hightest" in about a 66 Mustang.

The guy came inside the station to stay warm.... after a while I was still hearing Ding Ding Ding (older people remember the pumps would Ding every gallon). I turned and asked how big of a tank do you have.... "standard"

I ran out and turned off the pump at 85 gallons!..... He opened his trunk and his spare tire was floating! He had been involved in a slight fender bender and it knocked the fill hose away from the filler neck....

Those older Mustangs had the filler cap right behind the emblem in the center of the rear and the house routed through the trunk.

Being the 60's and in NY he pushed the car to a manhole drain and popped the plug on his trunk to drain it......

I could not imagine the impact that incident would have today!!

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

So that's the secret... man, all these years I've been using electric downrigers... shouldda been using gas downrigers. :D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

And just think ... in those days, that was probably a little over 20 dollars worth of gasoline!

puddle jumper

Captain

Getting back to the original post.
I can just see the post for that : how do i get the gas smell out of my rugs or what is the best way to dry out my flaotion foam in my boat.:D:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Getting back to the original post.
I can just see the post for that : how do i get the gas smell out of my rugs or what is the best way to dry out my flaotion foam in my boat.:D:D

Easy! Increase then boat insurance.... get a 6 pack of beer and a bic lighter :D

puddle jumper

Captain

The other one i thought of was

How long should i wait before i start the engines:D

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

About 30 some years ago I worked at a full service gas station. Remember lots of cars you filled up behind the licence plate? The guy took off before the attendant took the pump hose out of his car. When he took off it pulled the metal fill neck completely right out the back of his car. It was laying on the concrete with the hose still in it! Fortunately the pump was already off so I don't remember any fuel spillage. :confused: