New outdrive, mercruiser?

oceanpotion

Seaman Apprentice
Right now I got a mid 80's Chevy 350 OMC 1970 outdrive. I like the engine ok but this outdrive... geez louis. I try to work on it and every nut and bolt is frozen and it seems like water is getting through every seal. Im thinking it may be cheaper, easier, and less stressful just to replace the sterndrive unit.

Everytime I logon to this forum I see a banner at the top of the screen with excellent deals for sterndrives. So my question is it possible to hook up a mercruiser sterndrive to my current engine? How hard would it be if possible? Any thoughts on the mercruiser outdrives?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New outdrive, mercruiser?

No, you can't just stick another manufacturers drive on your transom shield.
You have an OMC striinger, and short of changing everything from the engine back you are stuck with it.

oceanpotion

Seaman Apprentice

So are you saying I have to change more than just the outdrive or are you saying I have to get a totally new engine if I want to connect a different outdrive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Everything has to be changed EXCEPT the engine. You also have to put in a new transom. The hole for any other kind of outdrive and transom shield is smaller. You can't just stick a completely different drive on something.
You better look at some boats and look at the different types of drives and transom shields. You really don't understand what you are asking at all.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

The Only thing you can reuse in such a swap, would be the Basic Long Block motor....

That means you can reuse Only the Chevy part of your driveline,.....
All of the OMC stuff would have to Go.....