Benefits of a jack plate for my johnson

mstrud

Seaman
I own a fiesta pontoon, i just put a new motor on it a johnson 50 hp. when i first mounted the motor i bolted it on on its lowest setting. i was a little dissatisfied with it as when i was running wide open a wall of water would shoot up off the transom, when i tilted the motor quite a bit of water drained out. it eventually shorted out something reducing the RPMs to nothing more than a rough half-idle. i then mounted the motor to its highest setting but now am having problems with cavitation, and there's still a little too much water rushing upward for my taste. i'm considering getting a stationary jack plate for it, hoping the 4 inches the motor would be offset from the transom might alieviate that wall of water rushing up into the motor. I need to get this figured out as my passion involves salt-water, and all that salt on a powerhead will kill it before ive even broken it in. would an offset jack plate make sense? Would getting a jack plate with a greater offset be even better? i dont have any experience with jack plates and dont want to throw anymore money away. So if there's anyone in the know how, let me know.

mstrud

Seaman
Re: Benefits of a jack plate for my johnson

i contacted fiesta, they were less than helpfull. they pretty much said they bought the company in 96 and reengineered the motor box. offering no advice on how to curb my transom spray, other than buying a new motor box from them, which isnt very cost effective. any imput from some old salts would be greatly appreciated.