Evinrude Big Twin Identification

LiLGrady17

Seaman
A family friend has offered me an Evinrude Big Twin he's had in the garage for quite a few years. It was given to him with the intention of him getting a boat, which he never got around to getting. I went & saw it today. It's a tiller engine, the flywheel can be turned by hand, has blue cowling, and a nice protective layer of dust. He said he used to run it a few times a year in a barrel, apparently quite a few years ago. From the location of the engine in his garage, the only thing I can see now is the SN# on the transom bracket; It is 2003-18282. What year/hp is this engine? Is there another location on these engines with a model #? Also, The prop apparently got tired of waiting for the boat, moved on & taken up retirement elsewhere. Are props available for this engine?

Weldor

Seaman
Re: Evinrude Big Twin Identification

I used to on an 18hp Fast Twin great little outboard wish I still had it now. I wish I could help ya ID this ole gal but I don't have a clue:redface:

I found a little info that indicates those Big Twins were 40hp and built in the early 60's other than that I'm still clueless.

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain

Does it look like this?
I don't have the books for the serial number I.D. but if it looks like this one it's probably between a '51 and '54 bigtwin 25hp.
Sorry I can't be more helpful---this is a '54 bigtwin 25hp.
JBJ

Attachments

• '54 25a.jpg
    '54 25a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Take a photo or two and post it here - even without a model number, we can probably get pretty close on the year just by the paint scheme and hood shape.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here you go, 25hp year 1952 model 2003

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If the numbers you posted are correct, it's a 52 Big Twin 25 hp. Nice motors. The later ones, post 55, were more refined and became OMC's workhorse motor for more than a decade until they killed it in 69 or 70. Too reliable I guess. Props can be had on the auction site or the free classifieds at www.aomci.org
Get it running, read the thread Awakening A Sleeping Outboard, and have some fun with it. If it doesn't appeal to you and you want something newer, trade your way up...but do find a good, appreciative home for it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Actually, the motor lived on past the morph to a 28hp in the early sixties, and a 33hp in the latter part of the sixties. In the seventies, there was a 40hp version that lasted until, I believe, 1976. Obviously, there were a lot of changes from the early fifties to the last of these motors, but they were all based on very nearly the same componets. The basic items such as the powerhead, exhaust housing, transom bracket, starter & bracket, gearbox & associated parts, etc., ranged from being very similar over the years to being identical. Other parts, such as the ignition system and hood, changed quite a bit.

Although there was much less commonality between the early fifties motors like this one, and the motors from 1957 and on, the series tends to be easy to restore and to keep running. Because of the amount of parts crossover available, and the sheer number of the motors sold over such a long period of time, finding parts usually isn't hard and many of them are even available as new stock, from OMC/BRP.

At any rate, you have a great motor and we look forward to hearing more about it!

LiLGrady17

Seaman

Once I bring it home, I'll post up a picture..
Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be asking for more along the way..

surfermex

Recruit

Hey Jay,
I also just recently purchased a 1952 Evinrude Big Twin.
I see that there is a battery hooked up to the one in the picture above.
Does that mean it is an electric start?
I don't think mine is.
Gary

wbeaton

Commander

Hey Jay,
I also just recently purchased a 1952 Evinrude Big Twin.
I see that there is a battery hooked up to the one in the picture above.
Does that mean it is an electric start?
I don't think mine is.
Gary

JBJ's 1954 Big Twin is electric start. It was the first year for electric start.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

JBJ's 25 also looks like it has a puddle of oil under the skeg! :)

jbjennings

Captain

You're rotten Steve!:) Let me CLARIFY that the "oil" under the skeg is actually unburnt 2-stroke fuel and water draining out of the midsection and NOT a leaky lower unit. I had just decarbed!!! What audacity to insinuate my BRAND NEW big twin is leaking oil..........Disgusting! BTW, you can probably guess how much I hated LiLGrady asking that question and forcing me to endure the time-consuming task of posting a pic of mine solely for identification purposes....:p
And surfermex---yes, it is electric start and it is SPECTACULAR! ;)
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

"Unburnt 2 stroke"? hmmm... looks like it could be 80w to me!