lower unit

topdogeye

Seaman
want to change impeller what steps should I take in loosening the bolts that holds the lower unit together. The lower unit hasn't been removed in three years.

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: lower unit

unhook linkage under carb
remove four mounting bolts on sides remove bolt under torque tab
and at rear of lower theres a bolt check your manual for diagram on bolts if confused if all bolts are out give it some tugging and it should drop down
i remove prop to make lower lighter and to keep prop from cuttin foot
be carefull it will come down hard

topdogeye

Seaman

Maybe I should have asked how to loosen siezed bolts. I was under the impression when posting that mentioning the lower unit would automaticly tip yall off to that possibility. Next time I'll be more specific.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well you still haven't told us what you have, so until then we are in the dark. if you don't answer our questions, we can't give you accurate info. not all lower unit bolts are siezed.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

heat a torch will help were it can be applied even then if its a salt water motor you may break one, most of the freshwater motors ive done the bolts came out fairly well it when someone pulls the lower on a saltwater motor changes the impellar and puts back together without oring on top of drive shaft and uses no antisieze on the bolts that the bolts sieze or break during removal

Benny1963

Lieutenant

put little heat to it tap it acouple of times the bolt with a hammer
and cross your fingers ,worst case senairo you break one
i broke two in my last 150 you can drill tem out with left hand drill bit
go slow hope fully you wont have any probs .most of the motors were im from are brakish water motors louisiana ,
i havent broke but three in about 8 motors .
were are you at , i may be close didnt see it in your profile
been watchin your post
have a good one bennyb

topdogeye

Seaman

I fish in southeast La. Live in Baton Rouge work in N.O. The motor is pissing fine but I know the impeller hadn't been changed in four years could be dry rotted what do you think. Another thing is I don't know much about adjusting the carbs as far as to rich or to lean how would I go about aproaching that?