Oil around prop

Hi folks. I have a 1972 85 hp Evinrude. I just changed the lower gear lube, put the earmuffs on her and fired her up. The next day I noticed black oil dripping from the prop. It is black like motor oil and definitely not the same as the lower unit gear lube. What is this from? I've read that it may be from running it out of the water with the earmuffs on, and it may be oil that did not burn up through the exhaust. I'd like to take the boat out this weekend, but don't want to chance a breakdown. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil around prop

Unburned gas that collected some carbon on the way down the exhaust I would say, nothing to worry about unless there was alot of it,drops okay a puddle maybe not.

Re: Oil around prop

Thanks for your help. That last link was very helpful. When I drained the lower unit there was no water in it, and is dark grey in color. I compared the smell of the oil on the prop to the smell of the drained gear lube, and the oil on the prop is definitely oil and not lube. I've never noticed oil on the prop before, but this is only the second time I've run my motor on muffs. I do remember last time I was out on the boat it was slow/no wake due to high water levels, so I was basically idling around the lake for three hours, which could have contributed to the buildup of unburned oil. Thanks again.

Last edited: