OBD II Autoscanner

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
I am looking to get an OBD II scanner, can they be used on any of todays automobiles, or are they specific to make or models?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: OBD II Autoscanner

OBDII provides for generic engine control data as per the Epa.

You can get code readers and low cost scanners to do generic.

Other factory codes are enhanced and vary from what Snap-on (and the like)
wish to purchase from the individual makers and resell (not all data is available for all cars). To the actual factory scan tools. All are portable some are software and cables for your laptop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the year of the car, the newer ones may have a CAN electrical interface. Make sure that the scanner that you buy will work on a CAN car if yours needs it. ODBII started on vehicles in the mid 90's.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depending on the year of the car, the newer ones may have a CAN electrical interface. Make sure that the scanner that you buy will work on a CAN car if yours needs it. ODBII started on vehicles in the mid 90's.

Depends on what he wants. Standard OBDII connectors have to work in generic for all cars for right now. CAN will be mandatory just don't know when:confused:

1996 was the mandated year there are a few that started a couple years earlier.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Depends on what he wants. Standard OBDII connectors have to work in generic for all cars for right now. CAN will be mandatory just don't know when:confused:

1996 was the mandated year there are a few that started a couple years earlier.

There is no physical difference between the standard OBDII connector and one that uses CAN.

http://www.hotwires.com/caninfo.htm

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is no physical difference between the standard OBDII connector and one that uses CAN.

http://www.hotwires.com/caninfo.htm

Dimensionally? No no difference

CAN enabled connector is pinned for serial bus communications in addition to what is mandated. If you check the pinouts on those that don't use CAN they can be different among the manufacturers because of the different protocols they use, the OBDII pins mandated by the EPA will always be the same. The CAN pinouts will all be the same, as they will be the new mandated standard.

edit:
Cool! mandated for 2008! sold my shop for 4 years ago and haven't really looked back much.

Last edited:

dolluper

Captain

I use Auto-tap and have for years now,,,free update for Can....This product did look interesting until I found out it was a generic scanner,most units have different software per manufacture of vehicle.....had to get to the bottom of the link Bruce gave to find out"Not every vehicle supports every parameter. "It looked good till that line.....not worth the money their charging

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Generic mode supports all parameters dictated by EPA.
But as far as the rest of the car goes it is one reason independent shops are buying more and more factory scan tools plus accessing the factory web sites for service information.
Fixing cars ain't getting any cheaper:eek::eek:
Lot more to fixing them than the mechanic and his tool box.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I took my truck to the shop (1999 Ford F150 V6 ) to see about the "check engine light".
The dude there without even looking at the truck told me, "It's your O2 sensor, Cat converter and fuel filter needs changing".
I asked him how did he come to this assessment, his reply was, "It's a Ford".
He also mention replacement of the EGR valve and a few other things which i can't remember, anyways still without looking at my truck, he quoted me a total of $1200.00.
Either this guy is an amazing genius or a lousy hustler. I left and went home, thinking perhaps i ought to get me one of those code scanners and a manual for my vehicle.
I need to know which type or model scanner i should buy that is best for my truck.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got an Autozone nearby? They used to scan for free.
If not just go in and get an OBDII code reader.

Lots of other "code readers" available from anybody that sells automotive. Just make sure it says OBDII on it

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I went ahead and purchased an OBDII code reader from Auto Zone.
The codes i got were:

PO300...Various cylinders misfire detected.
PO401...EGR insufficient flow detected.

Would a clogged EGR valve cause various cylinders to misfire?

There is no hesitation in the engine once its started, however there is some hesitation when starting the engine.

How difficult is it to change the EGR valve?
Would it be simply taking out the old and installing the new?
Or would i have to remove a whole bunch of stuff to reach it?

WizeOne

Commander

how many miles on your vehicle? and the spark plugs?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I went ahead and purchased an OBDII code reader from Auto Zone.
The codes i got were:
PO401...EGR insufficient flow detected.
Means not enough EGR flow. could be clogged passages, or the DPFE sensor, or the valve actuating circuit, or the valve itself or,............
PO300...Various cylinders misfire detected.
Would a clogged EGR sysytem cause various cylinders to misfire?
Yes

Pulling codes is just the first step in testing.
Time for a service manual
All Data is a popular one for the independent shops and you can subscribe online for 1 year for one vehicle. I think it's 19.95
http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html

gss036

Commander

Ford's are famous for bad DPFE sensors ( about $55-60 at NAAPA). They will cause the check engine lights to come on, you will get O2 sensor reading, but, usually is not a bad O2 sensor, and if the EGR is plugged, it will cause misfires because of back pressure. My daughters Explorer had to have both replaced. Then I sucked a can of SeaFoam in thru the brake booster vaccum line. Let it sit for an hour. Make sure you no one is behind you when you start it up and go down the road, tons of white smoke.
Then check and clean the mass air flow sensor in the air intake. DO NOT use carb cleaner on it. CRC makes an electronic sensor type cleaner. The sensor is just s fine wire that runs across the intake line and it get dirty. Some times you can just clean it w/low pressured compressed air like dust off for computers.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ford's are famous for bad DPFE sensors ( about $55-60 at NAAPA). They will cause the check engine lights to come on, you will get O2 sensor reading, but, usually is not a bad O2 sensor, and if the EGR is plugged, it will cause misfires because of back pressure
Not back pressure, lack flow expected by the PCM at that point, The Exhaust gases also cool the the combustion process to reduce the formation of NOX.
My daughters Explorer had to have both replaced. Then I sucked a can of SeaFoam in thru the brake booster vaccum line. Let it sit for an hour. Make sure you no one is behind you when you start it up and go down the road, tons of white smoke.
If his will even flow
Then check and clean the mass air flow sensor in the air intake. DO NOT use carb cleaner on it. CRC makes an electronic sensor type cleaner. The sensor is just s fine wire that runs across the intake line and it get dirty. Some times you can just clean it w/low pressured compressed air like dust off for computers.
If this is not messed up DO NOT TOUCH IT. If it cleaning it works then that is a sign of poor maintenance.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a CAN OBD II reader from Wal Mart for less than $90.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Got it all taken care of, I had to replace the DPFE sensor which was bad, and the EGR valve which was clogged up with soot as hard as charcoal.
Tom (Xtraham) over at motor-mouths.com walked me through the process.
Thank you all for the info, i learnt something and saved some cash.:D