1996 Evinrude - 'Hot' light, only on-plane?

flabeachbum

Recruit
We have a 1996 Evinrude SPL 115 (Model # E115TSLEUA) pushing a 17' Sunbird Bowrider around the Tampa Bay, Florida area.

My main concern is the hot light. :mad: We have putted around quite a bit (idle & just above), sometimes for extended periods (over an hour) - no problem. Even relatively cold, if we push the throttle forward enough to put her on plane, in less than a minute the "Hot" light comes on. Back off the throttle (off-plane), a minute or two later the "Hot" light goes off. Tampa Bay waters are warm, but this is ridiculous!

Pee-stream never fails with the muffs, but I haven't checked the pee or temp while on-plane. Next time we go out I'm putting a cup on a stick and checking it that way.

Normally, I would think the previous owner fouled-up the wiring to the indicator light, as it certainly would NOT be the first time. However, this seems to be a recurring and predictable symptom, one worth looking into.

Throttle position doesn?t seem to matter too much ? anything better than barely on-plane is enough to get the nasty red light. Slower speeds take a little longer (like 3 minutes), pushing to full throttle gets the light very quickly (like 30 seconds). Still runs great at any speed, regardless of that pesky little light.

We've been out very regularly since we bought her 2 months ago, but I know that we're going to be out even more this summer, and I need the know the motor isn't going to overheat and seize while we're out fishing or skiing.

My only other complaint has to be pretty common - she starts right up at home, but at the boat launch she always argues. I chalk that up to the luck of the Irish.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

flabeachbum
:cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Evinrude - 'Hot' light, only on-plane?

Howdy, FBB

Welcome to iboats. :)

I don't think I will ever understand why some folks keep running an outboard when it is screaming for help. Too often it blows up and they gripe about that lousy engine.

When did you last replace the impeller and thermostat(s)? When was the timing last set?

Your engine is sick. Please fix it or get it fixed before you run it again.

flabeachbum

Recruit

LOL! Wow, that was a bit more direct than I expected!

We just bought this boat about two months ago, and it is our first. The guy we bought it from obviously didn't rank maintanence as a high priority, given the myriad of stupid little problems that I've had to fix, such as removing the stereo speaker wire used to tie in the bow light, to reversed wires on the bow / anchor light switch (that one drove me nuts for a couple of hours!), none of the gauges worked properly or reliably, etc., etc.

The first couple of times, I simply figured that the previous owner had fouled up more wiring. The last couple of times, I noticed the pattern and started to really question what was going on. Because we're so new, we haven't spent much time on plane, either. I'm relatively good with motorcycles and cars, but this is the first outboard I have ever dealt with, and yes, I'm in very unfamiliar territory.

I will assume that our seller NEVER changed either, and the timing is probably off too.

Would you be so kind as to recommend a manual that covers these topics well? Do you have a preferred place to buy the parts?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

Sincerely,

floridabeachbum

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Thing is, that indicator isn't an "early warning" - it means you're overtemp *right now* and by not shutting down, you're subtracting hours from the useful life of your powerhead.

If you don't know the age of the impeller, replace it now and every two years thereafter.

I assume you're running in salt or brackish water or if you aren't, the other guy did - that stuff is hard on thermostats and relief valves. (under the cylinder head covers).

The temp sensor is a tan wire in the engine wiring harness.

You have underwater exhaust, which puts a load on the motor that isn't there when its running on muffs, is why it starts easier. Most common cause of hard cold starts: operator error. ;) Once you get it running right, it'll be just as easy to start on the ramp. Describe your cold start procedure.

Best bet is the factory service manual, try www.shop.evinrude.com , although its written more for the motorhead. Seloc is ok, has some good basic info & tips, but covers a lot of models and years, hit or miss on whether the illustrations are useful for your particular motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

Since this happens only on plane, there's also a possibility that the outboard is trimmed up too far or mounted too high on the transom. That can starve the cooling system of water.

In any case, do not run this boat with the overheat alarm on, unless you want to buy a new engine. It's your boat, and your decision. A lot of guys would figure this out before using the boat any further.

Manuals are available right here on iboats.com. Look at the top of this page. If you're not confident of your abilities, take it to a dealer.

flabeachbum

Recruit

Thanks guys!

JTexas, I figured it was a "hot now" indication. Everytime I've gotten it, I only go until I can safely slow down. This place is a boating madhouse, not unlike the interstate at rush hour.

I checked the database at Shop.Evinrude.com, found that the motor is actually a 1997, even though the plate says '96. Found the impeller, and it doesn't look too intimidating. Thermostat (is there more than one?) might be tricky - can't tell yet. I'm always open to tips & tricks, though! *hint-hint*

I also hadn't considered that the shift mechanism is persnickity. It works well enough, but it is a bit sloppier than I would think is normal. I figure I'm going to be right there anyway, perhaps I'll diagnose & fix that too if necessary. Again, if you never owned a car, and your first one was bodged together, you really wouldn't know if something wasn't exactly right! I chalked the poor shifting up to a possible bad aftermarket throttle lever installation.

I'll also check that temperature sensor wire, & I'm pretty sure I saw a different post describing using a torch to gently heat the sensor to check it's operation, correct?

Exhaust load makes sense! I know this one has an electronic choke, and I've read that during cold starting, I should turn the key to the "On" position, push the key in for a count of 8, then turn it to start. Works pretty well with muffs, but at the dock she usually balks at it, and requires at least 3 attempts. Yes, I've flooded it more than once, walked (okay, and cussed my way) back over to the truck, pulled the boat out, popped out the spark plugs, drummed my fingers for a couple of minutes, then done it all again in reverse. I will gladly learn anything to make it easier and more reliably!!!

Yes, we are most definitely running in saltwater, as I'm sure the previous owner did. Best fishing there is! I know it's harsh for just about everything on the boat & trailer. I've also noted that most of the cylinder head bolt heads are beginning to deteriorate. I've put those on my "replace very very soon" list.

CATransplant, I have been only slightly concerned with the trim and mounting. The block pin (not sure of the correct name) for the lowest allowable position of tilt is in the 2nd of 4 (or 5?) slots, as moving away from the transom. The gearcase, prop, etc. are all below the bottom of the boat. The tip end of the keel is approximately 15 inches below the bottom of the hull at the (current) lowest tilt setting. I've seen a lot of flats boats running with the prop behind the transom and the keel tip level with the hull. I think by comparison we're in pretty good shape with that here.

I'm definitely not running her again until this is fixed. $200 in parts (free labor!!!) is completely worth it to save a $1500 - $2000 repower!

Define "confident"? LOL! I'm not exactly comfortable with outboards yet, but so far I haven't seen anything in the manual that I'm scared of. Will I knock out the job in under an hour? Uhh, no. Maybe over a weekend. I'd rather take my time and make sure I don't make a mistake, but I don't think its really as tough as that manual makes it look (don't all parts manuals make it look impossible?), and really, the manual doesn't really look that bad!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

flabeachbum

Recruit

I appreciate the link, tashasdaddy.

Manuals are plentiful - GOOD manuals are hard to come by. More than once I've had two or more manuals in front of me, and even together they were worse than useless. I've learned to study carefully, but also to rely heavily on past experience.

The kneebone is always connected to the thighbone, regardless of what some twit in Korea, Pakistan, or Zimbabwe thinks might be an acceptable translation of already crappy instructions.

"Problem: Engine doesn't run. Solution: Fix or tune carburetor (picture of carb & oversize flat head screwdriver)"

OTOH, a GOOD manual is a lifesaver. Hopefully, the SELOC is a great one.

Thanks again!