90 hp rebuild

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i got a 90 hp block not sure of the year i got this number off the top of the block on the freeze plug R8551669 i am gonna put it on a 1998 115 crossflow midsection i looked at both blocks where they mount to the mid section they are identical so i was wondering can i use the heads off the 115 on the 90 I had the 90 block bored 20 over on all 4 cylinders. Also the guy at the machine shop said the two studs that align the two halfs of the block up where tappred i have no clue what he ment by that? Do you? Also one of the cyliders had water in it and the reeds have a little surface rust on them can i clean them or do i need to replace them?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 hp rebuild

Yes, you can use either set of heads. The alignment pins are tapered. A lot of people try to drive them out towards the rear of the block. Won't work that way. They have to be driven from the rear towards the front.

If this block had water in it make sure you find out how it got in and fix it or it'll happen again. Yes reeds can be cleaned but if they're pitted I'd just put Boyesens in it as long as you're right there anyway.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

In addition to the heads, I'd use the 115 carbs, too.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

will do thanks a bunch do you guys have experience with the boysen reeds are they worth the money? as far as ideling smoother and brtter throttle response.