rolling a boat

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
is it possible to roll a boat onto it's side when it's complete? all loose stuff will be taken out, but engine and outdrive and all acc will be left in. i need to clean my hull and don't want to do it on my back. what are the dangers of doing this?

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: rolling a boat

Are you saying this is a I/O? And are you going to lay the boat on the side or suspend it somehow? Im not really clear on what you are trying to do. Can you give some details of what you are trying to do? Then we can help ya out like you would not believe!

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I would not do that. The engine mounts are designed to support the weight of the engine upright. Flipped upside down might rip them out. You also have to look at things like the oil running out, etc. I would yank the powertrain before attempting this.​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i roll outboards with out motors all the time, but with the motor in an I/O, never.

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I concur, by flipping that motor, you could send liquids into places where they don't belong. Not to mention the stress the motor could inflict on your stringers and your gimbal bearing.

If you are cleaning the hull, Tashasdaddy has posted a method of gradually moving the boat off of the trailer and blocking it so that you could clean parts of the bottom individually.

My BIL used to use the very same method (albeit with sturdier components) to clean the bottom of a 36' houseboat.

i386

Captain

Yea, I think he's got that red lund with the Mercruiser I/O. Don't wanna flip that with the engine still in it IMO for all the reasons stated above and maybe more.

tashasdaddy

aluminum lund, I/O, i can just see the hook in that hull afterward.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

you are correct
it is a red lund.
i took a wire wheel to it yesterday, and it took it off with some work.
i just didn't want to do it on my back. the metal is not pitted, and i've yet to find a chemical i can spray on and have it work.
oh well, time for some elbow grease i guess.
do i have to prime the aluminum after it's been wire wheeled? or can i leave it like that(bare) for a few days? is there some treatment i need, ar a special paint?

tashasdaddy

start a new post about priming and painting bare aluminum.