Aluminum boat transom replacement progress and questions

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I'm knee deep in replacing the transom on my '66 Starcraft. I have the motor off and everything else that was mounted to the transom. Lots of bolt cutting.

Here's the motor hanging in my garage and my chaotic workspace
DSCF1213.jpg

Here's my transom with everything removed.
DSCF1214.jpg

Here's the token picture of rotted wood pulp we all love to see :)
DSCF1215.jpg

Here's my question. My boat has these 2 huge bolts through the transom. One on each side. They basically cannot be removed. They are like 8 inches long and welded to some sort of bracket inside the boat. You can see the bracket rivets on the ouside in the last picture. I have not seen bolts like this on other aluminum boats. Do you think I'm ok to just cut them off? Otherwise I'll need to fit the new wood in around them. I'm wondering if they were just there to aid in the assembly of the boat when it was being built. Thoughts?

DSCF1216.jpg

DSCF1217.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Aluminum boat transom replacement progress and questions

Bump

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Leave the bolts and just work around them. They are pretty far near the corners. Were there nuts on them or ski loops? I would look to see if you could use a hardwood block and tap them through into the boat. What's on the other side?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree cut them or knock them out. looks like the old style tow ring mount, that had a threaded rod, and the nut on the inside, and the ring threaded on. rather than made in one piece.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same transom and hull, and just replaced my transom. I have a line of 4 bolts/nuts on each side vertically, in that same area. None are welded in, just nuts and bolts.

I second the cutting/grinding to get them out, and replace w/ stainless.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. I'm going to cut them out. TD, that's probably what they are because my current tow loops are top-mounted but don't look original. Bob, there were nuts on them but the bolts are welded to some sort of bracket which is riveted to the hull.