Engine Choices

elwopo

Seaman
Looks like I'm going to have to buy two used engines for my boat. I've found:

2005 Mercury Saltwater OptiMax DI 200 hp pair (2 stroke)

2003 Yamaha 225 hp pair (4 stroke)

The older models (Yamaha) are 2k more expensive than the newer ones

Any opinions on why.....and which ones would be best for a 25' walkaround to be used for ocean fishing?

Are 4 strokes really that much better on fuel?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Engine Choices

You will need to research the WEIGHT allowed on the transome as well as HP as they have had to make a lot of changes as the motors have gotten heavy compared to older motors of the same HP

A big issue is NOT being able to get the lower unit fully out of the water causeing gear case corrision issues as the nose cone is not protected buy the anodes when its 1/2 in the water

elwopo

Seaman

I can't get an answer from SportCraft about the weight as this boat was made before they went under....and came up again.
The motors are mounted on a transom bracket as well so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

I haven't yet found the weight of the engines that are on there...because they are 1998 models....but I'll keep looking.

The 2 stroke opti-maxes I found are cheaper than the 4 stroke yamahas....would they be just as good, only louder?

pau hana

Cadet

Don't forget to factor in the oil for the 2 strokes.

2 stroke- More torque lower in the powerband, less moving parts, lighter overall weight, smoke from the engines.

4 stroke- smoother running overall, more maintenance, potentially better fuel economy, greater weight.

Both are good choices.......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can get motor weights at NADAboats.com