Want to buy boat and do small charters where to I start?

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off thanks for looking. I live in Hampstead a coastal area of NC and as of right now I do own a boat. Its a 17ft 2002 Carolina Skiff that I recently bought. Once this boat is payed for I would like to buy a larger boat 21ft or so and take things a little more serious. I do not have any experience so this will give me some time to learn what I am doing. I do want to start taking people out now though maybe twice a month during the summer and fall fishing. Plan is to be up front about things and say whats going on but offering trips fairly cheap. Figure $40 to $75 for a few hours to 1/2 day. I am on a budget and any extra money I would make would be helpful towards the boat payment. just looking for suggestions and any input would be welcome.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Want to buy boat and do small charters where to I start?

You need to check with the state to find out what type license and insurance you need.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I suspect that once you charge a dollar, you become a comercial enterprize with a whole BOATLOAD of regulations from licensing to minimum liability insurance and all that you have now would be voided. Much like the rules for car polling vs charging for a rider. It must document no profit, ectra or the rule change is drastic.

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I guess this is not such a good idea. Cant say it will never happen but guess I am learning on my own. I have taken some people out already for free but spending at least $20 to $30 in gas alone if you include the gas used by my truck to get there. Mainly just didn't want to loose money doing it.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you only have them chip in for gas and expenses, its not a for profit business and therefore you don't have to have all the extras. Although I would be careful, because if something does happen, you would be held accountable. I take people out all the time ( only people I know though). They chip in for gas, bait etc and it helps all of us. I get to go fishing a lot more, and they get to go too. ( most don't own a boat) For now, I would stick to people you know, friends, coworkers, family etc. Start checking the regs, I think here in MI you need a captains license, ( I think a licensed first mate too? not sure) insurance etc. The captains license thing will kill you, as you need so many hours of documented hours working on a boat to be eligible. Try getting a job on a current charter boat for the hours.

Chris

CATransplant

Admiral

I wonder how all those fishing guides manage to do all this. Maybe there's a fishing guide association where you are. I'm just not sure what's required to become one, either legally or insurance-wise.

They're common as flies here in Minnesota, and I know there are a lot of them who don't make enough money to afford a lot of regulatory stuff. Maybe there's a different category for guides than for other sorts of boating charters.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

While all of the issues that have been mentioned, such as business licensing, insurance, etc., are very important, there is one more that is more critical than any of them ..... do you know where the fish are 24/7? Can you find them in any weather that you would dare go out in? Can you find them in any fishable season, can you find them in any variance of water temp, water clarity, and any number of other scenarios?

People who pay money to have a guide take them fishing want to catch fish ... and they are usually looking to limit on each fishable species. If you can't produce on a consistent basis, you will last about "5 minutes" as a charter guide.

Sorry, but that's just the reality of it.

CATransplant

Admiral

Jay's absolutely right. My wife gave me a guided trip on the Saint Croix for a birthday a couple of years ago after we moved to Minnesota. I was excited, because I had done very poorly there on my own a couple of times. When I showed up at 6 in the morning for the day, the guide was hung over and didn't say more than 10 words to me.

He acted like he was doing me a favor by taking me out on his boat. Like most guides, he wanted me to use his tackle, so I left mine at home. Well...his stuff was junk. Drags were sticky and the line spooled on the reels was old.

We caught almost nothing, and the guy was surly and rude. The day was worthless. We caught one walleye and one sheephead (freshwater drum). $250 down the drain.

To add insult to injury, the idiot got ticked off when I failed to tip him at the end of the day. Not good.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

If I remember correctly from read that chapmans seamanship book-

If you take someone on your boat and they buy anything even beer you are a doing a charter and need a six person captains license (kind of funny how they call it a six-pack license)

Just food for thought.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

NSBCraig hit it on the nose.
If you are given anything (beer, soda, sandwich, etc), and if someone on the trip accidentally gets hurt, no matter how small, you can be sued. Unless you are licensed and insured.

This is what I have been told. I have no first hand knowledge or read about any cases. My2cents.

Reel Steel

Recruit

If you charter in the ocean then you need a Masters license issued by the Coast Guard. You also need insurance and any state rquired licenses.If you want to take friends out and have them chip in for expenses then that is OK as long as you don't require payment as a condition of the trip and you don't set a price so that it is voluntary on their part. To get a captains license you will need to document youe sea time. Hope this helps you.

rib4charter

Cadet

You need to start with a business plan first to see if this will make sense. This is where most people fail. You need to plan for wear and tear on the boat, insurance costs, refunds, marketing costs and all kinds of stuff so that you can figure out how much to charge to cover these expenses.

If your plan says you can make some money, then you have to get liscensed and get insured. These are not as easy as you think. Most insurance comapnies will not issue charter boat insurance on smaller boats. It took me months to get insurance on my bareboat charter business.

Just do you planning ahead of time and you will figure out if you should do this or not.