Bow mount design

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am just getting back into the boating thing after the winter has passed and am getting frustrated with my troller on my boat. It is a transom mount troller that i have the ability to mount to the front. I jsut have a problem with picking it up to go. If anyone has pictures of how a bow mount troller mount works, i will make it work with a transom mount troller. I am just looking for pictures of it in action to see the mechanics of it.

Thanks and once I get it right i will post how to make it.

thanks again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow mount design

Just one thought. Most transom mount motors are not long enough to use as a bow mount -- but it does depend a little on how big the boat is. You will need to turn the head around as the tiller handle will end up pointing forward. The best way to mount the motor is to find a sissor mount from nearly any old motor. Mount it and then remove the transom clamp bracket and modify the mount to accept the transom mount motor.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't want to have to mess with the motor to much because it is my fathers yet and some local lakes are trolling motor only, and we take off the outboad and put the troller on the transom.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Then I guess you don't have much choice. You fashion a bracket on the bow that you can hang the troller on. You still need to turn the head around if you intend to use it as a bow mount. On the transom, the prop faces away from the boat and tiller handle faces into the boat. On the bow, the prop faces into the boat and the tiller faces forward. Not a real convenient way to operate the motor so you still have to mess with the motor. Transom mount motors are available cheap. Why not buy your own and modify it as necessary.