Johnson 35 hp power problem

rick_l

Seaman
Okay, I have a Johnson 35 hp motor that would not run woithout the choke out. I cleaned the carb and it ran better and then lost power again. I then put a carb kit in the motor but it still does the same thing. After about 5 mins of operation it acts like it drops a cylinder or like you throttle back. Could it be a power pack or coil. It seems to do it after the motor is warmed up.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 35 hp power problem

Need year/model to really help you out. Could be losing power on a coil as it reaches operating temperature, or could be a short in a plug wire. When it starts acting up, pull a plug wire and see what happens. If you get no result, that plug/wire/coil etc. is suspect.

rick_l

Seaman

Sorry the motor is a 1981 Johnson 35 hp. I have heard of power packs overheating and dropping a cylinder.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

That too. I was guessing you had an older outboard.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your spark when it does it. if one is not firing, swap the locations of coils completely, pay attention to where the wires go. now retest. if the failure follows the suspect coil, replace the coil. if the failure stay in the same place, replace power pack.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a problem with the fuel supply.
Try and run it with a different supply hose.It sounds like there is a pinhole in the hose that sucks air instead of fuel.Check the hose to the pump and the fuel intake in your tank as well.I am not going to mention the air intake for the tank.