Wiring Help Needed With Navi Lights

gsk2005uk

Seaman
Hello,

I am a boat newbie and I am slowly trying to restore my 14 foot boat to something more decent. Now its time for me to add/replace the navigation lights. The problem is that even thought the boat originally had lights, when I got it there was no wiring present, at all.

What I will install would be something simple and cheap, a red/green (bow) and a white 360 pole at the stern.

If I add new lights, do I connect them straight to the battery (via a fuse). I do hope later on to add some instruments and a remote start button for the outboard engine, so do I need to think of any elaborate wiring diagram? What are the things that I should be careful of?

Thanks!

rndn

Commander
Re: Wiring Help Needed With Navi Lights

The lights should always be wired using a switch and fuse. You will need to be able to have just the rear light on while anchored and then both lights on while underway.

rndn

Commander

One other thing to mention is if you really don't plan on a lot of night fishing you could go with the clamp on self contained battery lights made for boats. I have used them in the past and they last quite a long time on a set of batteries. They use C, D or several AA batteries.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here's the wiring scheme - front to back. If you have any plans whatsoever to add stuff in the future, add the fuse/breaker panel so you don't have to do it later. Here is a generic wiring set-up. Use as much or little of it as you like.

InstrumentPanelWiring.jpg

Here is a simple switch and light arrangement if you don't add the panel. The +12V line and ground wires go back to the battery.
NavSwitchWiring.jpg

gsk2005uk

Seaman

Hi and thanks for all the replies!

One more thing, what is the best way to calculate the rating on the fuse based on the battery's output Volts/Current?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Fuses are rated on the current that will pass through the circuit. If you are running just the two lights, a 5 amp fuse is all that's required. What you need to be careful of when doing any wiring, is never install a fuse with a higher rating than the amount of current the wire is capable of carrying. In your case, 16 gauge wire is very adequate for most boat circuits except for the +12V and ground wires from the battery to the fuse panel. Those wires need to be bigger because they carry ALL of the current for ALL of the circuits. A circuit breaker or fuse is needed needed at the battery and it needs to be sized in relation to the current of ALL circuits.

gsk2005uk

Seaman

Many thanks to everyone for their help/advice regarding the Navi lights.

I have them connected on the a 3-switch panel (Navi lights: on-off-on, Battery: on-off and a engine starter switch). Everything now is installed and works perfect!