50hp force no top speed

jomaack

Cadet
i recently bought a 1986 bayliner capri with a 50hp force all in good shape the third time i took it out and after about 2hrs of riding i sat in the middle of the lake idleing for about 7or8 mins. then starting back in after a few moments the engine started to run for less than half speed after getting to the docks i cut it off then backed in the trailer and then it would not crank so after getting home i cleaned the spark plugs it fired right up so i bought new ones went back to lake and same problem i even put old plugs back in and still no help it will only run less than half speed can anyone help

cdfran

Cadet
Re: 50hp force no top speed

I have recently purchased an early 80's force 125hp that is doing the same thing. I posted a similar string about my engine and have a couple of responses. The string is "Bogging Out". I would appreciate it if you would let me know what ends up working for you.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I doubt that this is the problem, but I'll tell you about the first time I took my FIRST boat out.

I had the same problem. Got towed back to the dock. Later that night at home, for whatever reason, I looked under the back seat for something -- there was my gas can -- completely caved in. I never opened up the vent after I made it to the lake. It would run until it starved of fuel, and then die.

Only an idiot would do that -- but I've seen it a time or two since then. ;)

cdfran

Cadet

I have been told to check the air flow into the gas can by several mechanics. Apparently this is a common mistake for new boaters. I had never thought about that before they mentioned it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you mess with timing you can burn up that motor.Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. If the squeeze ball is old it can go bad.If you buy one to replace. Tempo is not a good bet.Make sure your connections are tight old Chrusler/Force fuel connectors go bad setting. Check the vent if the tank has been built in it can have debris in the bottom.Lots to check.Jerry

gunsho2020

Recruit
Re: 50hp force no top speed/MAYBE CHECK

Re: 50hp force no top speed/MAYBE CHECK

I bought a used bayliner capri 14 ft. 1986 50 hp.
ran great on calm water with just me.

then wont speed up with 2 people.second time out.rough water.

i found the small hose from the crank case to the gas pump,the external hose , was loose and no clamps. I installed hose clamps. this could suck air ,robbing the carb of intake air, for pulling in gas.

I had to unbolt my linkage from the throttle ,the one going to the points, and adjust it until thge engine started. i had moved it earlier troubleshooting.

I did not run the boat ,to check it yet.

inexperienced boater,but hope this may help/