what's that trap door called?

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class
we have a plank of wood with a finger hole in it -- when you lift it up, there's a carpeted bay area underneath. I need to know what that 'door' is called because i am trying to find a replacement -it's located on the deck right in front of the motor housing. it sits on a metal rim and you can stand on

since this wood has only the finger hole - that compartment stays damp. i want to replace it with a teak slatted one so air can get to it and it will not be as gross. we store our fenders and spare oil and rope there now. any idea on where to find my mystery part?

thanks!

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: what's that trap door called?

hmmmmm.......good question.....boat storage compartment cover? ski locker cover maybe???? If you search hatches you get hinged hatches and such with frames and all... If you are handy you might do best by making your own from wood slats of the same thickness screwed to two cross support pieces spaced equally apart like you see covering alot of ski lockers......hopefully someone else can help.

CATransplant

Admiral

Try one of these:

50-36701_0.jpg

You can buy one at iboats.com, the very site where you asked:

http://www.iboats.com/SEACHOICE_FLUSH_HATCH_HANDLE_STAINLESS_STEEL/dm/view_id.70591

Or this:

1143326c_1.gif

http://www.iboats.com/Attwood_Flush...1303095--**********.449794222--view_id.238022

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Generally its referred to as a "In deck Hatch " as for replacing the solid unit with a slatted one you'd be getting off alot cheaper by purchasing the teak and building it yourself.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

finding the right size is going to be hard.

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy the teak and drop by a local cabinet maker if your not to handy yourself. I have done that with other items and it nice and fast and done proper.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The one on my boat is made of starboard material. Never rots and never needs refinishing.
Looks just like this one in ebay("boat deck hatch"):

Attachments

• hatch.jpg
    hatch.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

awesome, thanks for the replies. i did see that one on ebay after i got the name of it...and took TDs advice and measured. no go on that one - but it looks like what i want. i am sure we can make it - there's a woodshop in our basement! :)