I want to add a buzzer for temp and oil

bretto

Seaman
1993 4.3 OMC
I have the gauges for the oil and temp but I want to add an idiot buzzer for those who may drive the boat that don't keep a visual on the gauges. Where can I get a buy the pressure switch and temp switch and where would I mount the oil pressure switch. I think I can figure out where to put a temp switch.

Thanks,
Brett

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I want to add a buzzer for temp and oil

Most any auto parts stores will have the switches. You want a normally closed oil pressure switch that opens at around 7 to 10 psi. Your overtemp switch will be a normally open that closes at 210?F. Get a buzzer from radio shack, and wire it in

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

As to where to mount the switch... there should be a hole by the distributor and one down by the oil filter. One will be in use by your current sender, and the other will be plugged.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just a thought here, but if you let someone drive your boat that does not keep an eye on the gauges or even understand what they mean, then they should not drive the boat. Besides, if they don't understand the gauges, do you really think the buzzer will mean anything to them. My bet is should the buzzer sound they come back to the dock rather than killing the engine and trying to determine what happened. When a buzzer goes off it means the engine needs attention now, not tomorrow or next week. Spend some time around a service facility and you will hear this story at least a couple times a day: "I didn't know what the buzzer meant" or "I came back as soon as I could", or "It was still running ok so I kept on going", or "The oil gauge showed zero but it had plenty of oil".

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"The oil gauge showed zero but it had plenty of oil".

I've heard that from customers a few times.

bretto

Seaman

Just a thought here, but if you let someone drive your boat that does not keep an eye on the gauges or even understand what they mean, then they should not drive the boat. Besides, if they don't understand the gauges, do you really think the buzzer will mean anything to them. My bet is should the buzzer sound they come back to the dock rather than killing the engine and trying to determine what happened. When a buzzer goes off it means the engine needs attention now, not tomorrow or next week. Spend some time around a service facility and you will hear this story at least a couple times a day: "I didn't know what the buzzer meant" or "I came back as soon as I could", or "It was still running ok so I kept on going", or "The oil gauge showed zero but it had plenty of oil".

I knew someone would chime in with a reply like this. Thanks for the concern, really. :) It's just that sometimes and audible is an 'out of the ordinary' alert that I'd like to have in place in case someone or maybe even me that may not catch a gauge reading in time to shut it down. I'd really like to set it up to kill the ignition if the condition presents itself. And yes I do and have educated others that have driven the boat that they are in control and need to keep an eye on things and what everything means. Just better insurance is what I am after.
Thanks!
Brett

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A low oil pressure switch triggers at between 4 and 6 PSI. While an engine will idle forever with that kind of oil pressure, it won't last long under load so by the time the buzzer sounds you already have an issue. Over temp is a little more forgiving. Not all engines run long in an overheat situation but last year Jeff Gordon ran about 50 lamps in a race at 8000+ rpm with the temp gauge pegged on 260. That of course is not recommended but a small block will survive a 240 degree trip back to the dock provided it is not injesting water at the same time.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I'd really like to set it up to kill the ignition if the condition presents itself.

While I think a buzzer is a good idea - I wouldn't set it up to kill the ignition. It could kill it at a most inopportune time. With the buzzer you can look at your gauges and see whether a shut down is appropriate or not. Just my humble 2 pennies worth. ;)

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I concur with the kill switch thought. The last thing I would want is to bpproaching a dock - or worse...a group of people - and have the engine shut down. That means a loss of steering and stopping power. Could be a terrible thing.

I added an "idiot light" over each temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. A tiny recessed LED light in the dash isn't even visable until it comes on. Even then, most people who have ever driven a car will notice a bright red light on the dash and know something's wrong.

bretto

Seaman

Ok I found where I can add the oil switch to the block. For the water switch, there are 2 plugs (one on each head). Does it really matter which one would be better to use? I can't see any reason to pick one over the other other than what would make it easier to wire it in. And I like the idea of the LED idea, I think I'll add that to in the mix.
Brett

jayrodoh

Seaman

When you wire it, pull your positive connection from the run position on the keyswitch, that way the buzzer won't be on when the boat is shut off. It will buzz when you turn the ignition on until you start the boat because there will be no oil pressure, doubles as a check to let you know it's working.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for hacking in on your post but I'm considering the same addition to my boat. Can I just run power in series to all switches Oil Press/Eng. Temp/Outdrive reservoir? I did an engine swap and used the new engines harness which wasn't wired for a buzzer. Thanks.

bretto

Seaman

Yep just daisy chain them all together to one buzzer unless you are inclined to run a buzzer and/or light for each switch so you know exactly what is alarming you.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sorry for hacking in on your post but I'm considering the same addition to my boat. Can I just run power in series to all switches Oil Press/Eng. Temp/Outdrive reservoir? I did an engine swap and used the new engines harness which wasn't wired for a buzzer. Thanks.

Yep just daisy chain them all together to one buzzer unless you are inclined to run a buzzer and/or light for each switch so you know exactly what is alarming you.

They MUST be wired PARALLEL not series. In series you would have to have high temp, AND low oil pressure, AND..... before the alarm would go off.

Last edited:

bretto

Seaman

Yeah I was just going to reword my post, they are all in parallel in respect to the battery, I am guessing he was talking running the lead from switch to the next and then to the buzzer. You wouldn't be able to run them in series anyway since they screw into the block.

jayrodoh

Seaman

Cole Hersee makes a nice little combo lighr and buzzer. Part number 4112-RC. You can find them around $20 on ebay.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info,, I was initially considering one power wire for the whole set up but it makes sense that if one switch was activated the next in line would have to also for power to get downline to the buzzer.. One separate power wire per switch,, got it.. Thanks..

jayrodoh

Seaman

Thanks for the info,, I was initially considering one power wire for the whole set up but it makes sense that if one switch was activated the next in line would have to also for power to get downline to the buzzer.. One separate power wire per switch,, got it.. Thanks..

Technically it wouldn't be a power wire. The senders screw into the block, so it grounds when the threshold is met or exceeded (only one connection on the sender). You'd run one postive wire from your keyswitch to the buzzer/light and the ground wire would run to the temp and oil pressure sender. Pretty simple.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's getting easier all the time.. Thanks.. Now the hard part will probably be finding the oil and temp senders that will screw into this GM block.. I'm checking advance auto today... Thanks for the info..

jayrodoh

Seaman

Should be pretty easy to find. Cole Hersee makes a complete kit if you want to go that route. Part M-40177-BP

We use alot of CH stuff on our trucks so I'm pretty familiar with the line. I like the kit, but would add a red light visual indicator too.