Gimbal ring tab (ear) broke off

pennstatejoe21

Recruit
hey, im new here and I just have a quick question. I just put a deposit down on a 1993 21ft Caravelle runabout with an I/O 5.0 v8 mercruiser. I got a good look at it the first time, but i just noticed that one of the ears or tabs on the lower part of the gimbal ring was cracked off. The rest of the ring looks good. no cracks etc. Im just wondering how important the tabs are and if it can be fixed without replacing the whole ring. Should I even bother with it? Any input will be greatly appreciated. THanks, Joe

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gimbal ring tab (ear) broke off

It's very important. That is what supports the drives side to side movement under load when trimmed up. Otherwise, the only thing used for support would be the pivot pins. And they weren't designed for that.

pennstatejoe21

Recruit

wow. well thats not good. Is there an easy fix or should i try to get my deposit back? A new ring for that would probably be around $400-$500 right? I didnt even buy the thing yet and its already becoming a money pit!! Looks like ill be losing some sleep tonight :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didnt even buy the thing yet and its already becoming a money pit!!

Welcome to the world of broken boats trying to be sold by owners to those that don't know good from bad.

Bondo

Staff member

or should i try to get my deposit back?

Ayuh,......

Or a signed agreement that it'll be repaired Before you buy it.....