68' 125hp Merc, why no power to coil?

lilboatsman

Seaman
68' Merc, 125hp inline six. So my coil wasn't getting anything from the control box, and I ordered a used one off of ebay. I'm wondering if this one is bad too, because I'm still not getting any voltage to my coil from the control box. I should notice some sort of voltage on my test meter when I crank the motor, right?

lilboatsman

Seaman
Re: 68' 125hp Merc, why no power to coil?

I spent some time working on it and took the cap off of the distributor. Found that something inside had fallen apart, and I think the distributor is wrecked. Would the control box possibly not provide power to the coil if the distributor isn't working correctly?

OldMercsRule

Captain

I spent some time working on it and took the cap off of the distributor. Found that something inside had fallen apart, and I think the distributor is wrecked. Would the control box possibly not provide power to the coil if the distributor isn't working correctly?

That is likely the problem. I have a 1968 1250 parts engine. The power head burned and scorched the wires but the distributor and trigger is likely good, (not sure about the cap), as it ran good when we torched #3.

I would have guessed that the "trigger" maybe bad before you posted this about your distributor. There is a proceedure here to trouble shoot the CD box vs trigger failure somewhere. Good luck JR

Laddies

Banned

First your engine does not have a coil, thats a transformer and the only time it has voltage is when the switch box sends AC voltage it's way to fire it. I don't know what your problem is but if your checking the key switch then you will find it supplies DC volts to the white terminal starboard side of the switch box. If you are lacking spark tell us and we can give you a simple test but DO NOT just start arcing wire or you will find that it's a EXPENSIVE PASTIME,