crud removal; what the power washer missed

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
im going to bottom paint my boat for the first time. but i need to remove the alge growth from last season that the power washer could not remove...i scrubbed like a sun of a gun with minumal progress using scotch brite pads and soft scrub ( if i continued the same method, i should be ready to launch by mid july ) can anyone reccomend a product to remove crud. thanks in advance

erikgreen

Captain
Re: crud removal; what the power washer missed

Power scrubber with a scouring pad disk... I got one that does sanding, polishing, and scrubbing with a 9 inch disk at harbor freight for $30.

Erik

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

You'll probably be better off just doing an acid wash on the bottom. Go to WM or any other boat store and pick up a quart of On & Off. Made by a company called Mary Kate. Don' let the feminine name mislead you - this is some pretty serious stuff. Skin protection is mandatory. Get an acid brush, attach it to a pole ( wood ) and just put it on. Do not let it dry on the hull !!! A small section of maybe four square feet is very manageable. Let it sit for a few minutes, scrub a bit and rinse. It is fiberglass and gel coat safe so no worries there. The fumes are noxious so stay upwind of your project. It does work.

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys, im off to west marine now.....finally a trip there for less then $100.00 :)

erikgreen

Captain

Never happen.... "Hey, I need this! And this too!.... as long as I'm here I'll pick up one of these, they're cheap...."

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never happen.... "Hey, I need this! And this too!.... as long as I'm here I'll pick up one of these, they're cheap...."

No kidding. I went to Boaters World last week to pick up a windshield latch to hold the center section down. They are about 5 bucks. I spent $140.

The admiral was not pleased.