Fishing rod

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the difference between the "roller" style eyes and the regular "circle" eyes besides friction? Also is it worth the money to have the pole with the rollers instead of the eyes?

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fishing rod

With roller guide rods you have the ability to use braid and wire line that would damage traditional eyes.

Large knots or in-line swivel (Spro) connecting two lines together will still feed thru roller guides.

I use braid for offshore fishing so rollers are a necessity.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

If you're after the bigger fish roller guides are the way to go. However, close inshore or inside I can't seem to justify the price for the size of fish you'll be hooking. My $.02

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I do a lot of wireline and super braid fishing and I am off the roller guides.They make for heavy rods and too many things can go wrong with them.Instead of rollers I prefer carboloid (carbide)ring guides.They are fine for wire and braid and they cannot cause the birds nests that rollers are infamous for.

eastern27

Seaman

What is the difference between the "roller" style eyes and the regular "circle" eyes besides friction? Also is it worth the money to have the pole with the rollers instead of the eyes?
As said before unless your fishing for 150lb+. (big) fish, roller guides don't do much except make the rod heavier, I use Penn Mariner rods for trolling tuna 100+ lbs. regular Aluminium Oxide guides, no problem. Ugly Stick heavy spinning rod same thing but with braid. Roller guides are for letting large diameter lines go out at high speed under heavy loads without heating up from friction. If you buy a good quality rod, braid won't be a problem for the guides.

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class

again thanks for the .02 cents lol...i do mostly trolling and bottom fishing in and past the gulf stream in south florida and try to catch whatever will bite mullet, sardines, and ballyhoo so hopefully i can catch something big enough to make my new rod worth it...should have asked on here before i bought it though.