50hp lower leg wont refit

SpeshKena

Recruit
:confused:
I have pulled the lower leg off to replace the impeller.
Now I cant get leg back on.
The main shaft spline lines up and goes in but the shift rod spline wont even start to go in.
I have tried turning the shaft while pushing leg up and cant even feel the splines trying to line up.

Would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thanks

rndn

Commander
Re: 50hp lower leg wont refit

Welcome to the forum!!
What year Merc?

SpeshKena

Recruit

Hi and thanks :)

I am unsure of year at this stage. It is an old pull start engine.
says 500 on the cover.

am new to the boating scene :)

Thanks

marty pollock

Recruit

hi there this is my first post but i hope i can help iv just done the same job on my merc thunderbolt 500 50hp
if it is the same one here is what to do bit fiddley on the lower leg you will see a smaller spline if you turn this your prop will ingadge into gear locate large drive shaft into pos turn propeller untill it starts to fit into top socket but dont push all the way in now the little spine turn it backanti clockwise at the base of the spine is black plastic put a peice of wood or something to it and tap it round untill your prop is disingadged or running free when done push togasthr now it wont go all the way but it will let you get the nuts startyed they will pull it togather hope thats of some help.Marty belfast ireland.

SpeshKena

Recruit

well I've tried again and still no luck, I drained the oil and all I can see down the hole where the shift shaft runs is a smooth shaft tha turns with the prop and no spline for the shaft to fit into???

it is a 500 thunderbolt merc also