run/charge switch

rbutter

Cadet
I recently purchased a 93 Procraft 180V and have been having trouble with the trolling motor batteries. The batteries are not wired in a series but I have a run/charge switch on the bow. I understand the process of the swich except for what happens in the neutral or center position. The motor also has a 12/24 switch as well. Would running the motor on the 12 volt position and having the "run/charge" switch on run cause the batteries to die faster?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: run/charge switch

A RUN/CHARGE switch does two things. In the RUN position it connects the batteries in series to provide 24 volts to the troller receptacle. In the CHARGE position, it breaks the series connection so the batteries can be charged through the troller receptacle or directly at the batteries. Since your troller also has a 12/24 switch, the troller plug probably has three wires in it (red-orange-black). Red=24V, Orange=12V and black=ground. On he boat side, the batteries can be wired in two different ways. You may have four wires (two red and two black from each battery) going to bow panel. Or, it may have three wires. Check this carefully and let us know exactly how it's wired. But to answer your original question, one of the batteries may be bad which will suck the life out of the good one in a parallel configuration (CHARGE position) and prevent full power in the RUN position. If the bad battery is providing 12V for 12V operation, obviously power will be down. You should also check and clean all connections, have the batteries load tested, and make sure they are topped off with distilled water if necessary.

rbutter

Cadet

Silvertip,

Thanks for the quick reply, their are 4 wires running from the batteries to the bow panel. What does the switch on the bow panel do in the neutral position between run and charge? The batteries have been load tested and were fine, but will check the water level.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have no idea (except OFF) but I've never seen one that has a center position. Does the switch look original? If you have a four wire system the wiring between the batteries and the connector should look like this but it may or may not use the jumper between the two batteries (shown as green wire). The Run/Charge switch makes that connection.

12and24V4Wire.jpg