some one shoot me and put me out of my misery

lquested

Seaman
ok pull up a chair this could take awhile... i bought a boat a 1988 bayliner capri 1900 br w/ a 1986 force 125 hp outboard from my sister she was about to loose the house so i bought it. ive had it for 1 month and a 1/2. ....she cant find titles...... there could be an easy fix to that buuuuuuutttttttt. titles not in her name. and the title is not in the name of the person they bought it from it is in the name of the person before that..( geeeeez). how can i find out who the original owner is so i can contact him to send me another title so i can PUT IT IN MY NAME.!!!!!! ive done alot of work on it and really want to go to the lake.. please help
:(

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: some one shoot me and put me out of my misery

Thats the least of your worries, you bought a OLD Bayliner with a Force outboard.Dont sink to much $$$ into it. beware :D

5150abf

Vice Admiral

call your DMV and ask them what to do, they are the ones that deal with it so they will know what/if you can do anyhting.
Ever heard the saying no good deed goes unpunished.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, this is going to be one great thread! (For the rest of us, that is......)

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that maybe these folks weren't the most careful boat owners - being they never even took title to the boat! Let's see, a 1980's Bayliner with a Force engine....where have I read about THAT combo before...hmmmmm....OH YEAH, in the Retoration forum!

Good luck, Dude. Sounds like you'll need it. Sorry to have a laugh at your expense, but this one is just looking like a winner.

bhammer

Ensign

It appears that you are in Texas. If so, the Texas Parks and Wildlife are your friend for this. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/ is where you can get started. I know a guy that had to do the same thing and took a couple months to get it resolved but they did. The comments about the boat. Have a real good look for rot before you spend any real money on it. I can't comment on the engine but from what I have read.....

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am interesting in hearing more about this story as well, because I am trying to register a boat in Mass and am having a similar problem (I got the boat from a guy who bought it at a storage unit auction, who where auctioning it off because the people stopped paying on the unit). So I don't have a title, and the guy I bought it from in Mass never registered it.... ugg.....

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Start with bhammer's advise. This may not be as bad as you think. I know here in VA, our Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries is awesome in resolving title issues.:D

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Texas Parks will require you to have the title (or registration from a non-title state) or they will not register to you. I went down this road with my boat. I finally paid a service to handle it for me. I sold them my boat (with a bill of sale) and they registered in a non-title state. They then sold my boat back to me with all the papers to get it titled in my name.

Steve

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I live in DE and there is no title required. I go to natural recources to get my registration. I dont even have a coast guard data plate with a hin number but my hin number is the number on the side of the boat. So far i have been checked out 2 times by coast guard and the only problem i have had is that my fire extinguisher was expierd by 2 months and he let me go on that. Thats only a 25 dollar fine. I think he was looking for undersized fish and thats the big bucks for them. Its all about getting in your pocket!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Texas Parks will require you to have the title (or registration from a non-title state) or they will not register to you. I went down this road with my boat. I finally paid a service to handle it for me. I sold them my boat (with a bill of sale) and they registered in a non-title state. They then sold my boat back to me with all the papers to get it titled in my name.

Steve

that sounds like a scam to the state! But what did it cost you? THey must have some sort of friend or other business in a non title state. Anyways what did it cost you and what info did you need to provide them? Thanks

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class

that sounds like a scam to the state! But what did it cost you? THey must have some sort of friend or other business in a non title state. Anyways what did it cost you and what info did you need to provide them? Thanks

It does sound sketchy, but it's perfectly legal. I guess they have a network of dealerships that they work with. My boat was sold back to me by a company registered in Alabama.

It costs $175 - Company was International Title Service out of Arizona.

crestapre

Seaman Apprentice

Massachusetts requires a title also but new Hampshire does not. People in Mass that have on title have "sold" there boat toa friend in NH who registers it with only a bill of sale. Then sells the boat back to the Mass owner who can then register & title the boat because it was purchased from a non-titled state. Happens all of the time.

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

crestapre,

Interesting, so my family has a house in NH, so I guess it would be easier to register the boat in my uncles name at the NH residence, then have him sell me the boat back, and then bring the NH registration and new bill of sale back to mass....

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a few options:

1) Pursue what's called a "bonded" title in your state. This means you either post a bond, which you get back 100% after a number of years if no one claims YOUR boat or you post a portion of the bond to a company that pays the bond for you. You don't get your portion back.

2) You "wash" the title. No one is going to want to talk too much about this here, but there are services you can buy that basically "register" the boat for you in a non-title state, send you the paperwork, then you can register it in your home state. This works if the boat is *NOT* registered in your state to begin with. If it is registered under your hullID and outboard SN, I think that it's likely that it won't work.

3) Talk to your local boat registration authority and fill out some "trace" paperwork on the boat and motor. You'll be able to figure out who the "registered" owner of the boat is. If you can find him/her and they're willing to help, all you need is a signature in most cases...

Never never never buy boats, motorcycles, or cars without SEEING a clear title in the current owners name.. It's just not worth it.

bhammer

Ensign

Steve

If it is currently registered in Texas, that will not work as they will not reredgister it like that. Start with the TPWD and see what they say. They will have the record of who registered it and from there, you can have them (owner of record) submit the forms and then you can title the boat. If that person is no longer around, there are ways around it.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Dakota47, and TNH...
The guy asked for Title help, not how to bash Bayliners. I have 2 Bayliners(4 boats total), a 1988 same boat, 88 125 Force....(now 20 years old) .
And a 1977..(math says 31 years old!).. 25 footer thats damn near pristine.
BOTH run fine...
Both solid like a rock, as both bought used, and both sit in saltwater.
I KNOW the original owners, and they took care of them.
Thats the ticket...simple maintenance.
No such thing as a bad boat, ..but some stupid owners need a clue.
You both are spitting a "myth"..and bet either one of ya ever owed one...
Again , I bet neither one of you have bought one new, and took care of it, just like any other boat.
Ya should see the junk "Top End"..."High Dollar" boats here that that the owners simply ignored.
Transom rot from a stupid install of a depth finder..zero clue to seal the "drilling" for screws...
Its STUPID that destroys a boat, like in the owner..got zip to do with the boat.
50 years wet...been there, done that, seen it all, ..and I'm blaming zero on a boat maker....but ya people that buy them?
Thats the problem.....then they start "bashing...when the problem is right there in the mirror...
"Nuff" outta me...