1973 70hp Evinrude Prop wont go but engine starts

detourkid

Cadet
Just purchased this boat..hooked it upto the water and prop spun....took her out Thursday put her in the water, motor started but prop didnt spin and we went nowhere....Any ideas? Could it be a shear pin? It goes into gear, but no forward or reverse! Rev's up but no spin on prop! Also, the oil we drained was a milky tanish color!

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1973 70hp Evinrude Prop wont go but engine starts

welcome to iboats. disconnect the shift cable at motor and try shifting at the motor, you could also have a spun prop. the prop has an inner and outer hub, with a heavy rubber bushing between, these give up the ghost. you can check by drawing a line across, then put in gear, if the line is still lined up, you have another problem.

Attachments

• spun prop.JPG
    spun prop.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

detourkid

Cadet

Ok thanks will try it . thanks for the pic ,headed outside to check it out .

detourkid

Cadet

well just removed prop and found no spun prop . removed lower drive all good there (checked it by shifting it into gear on the shift rod). then checked shift cables they was ok.then seen shifter linkage went under motor then down to shift lever that goes to lower drive and found a little bolt that holds the linkage from shifter to lower drive laying in bottom of engine housing........replaced bolt and guess what ....
IT WORKS IT WORKS thanks for all your help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sucess. i started you at the easiest, and you searched it out.

detourkid

Cadet

ok well i am back it drives now but wont go more than 10 miles an hour so next crash course in boat motors....funny part is i looked at 5 boats before i bought this one and i did a compression check on each one but when the seller started the boat and it reved up i didnt think i needed to do a compression check ..so now i am overheating after 10 minutes so first a compression chedck then the lower unit back of and check impeller then thermostat.. heck we will know how this sucker works when done.... thanks for your help ...hope to help others soon too