Volvo-Penta Shifting, performance question?

mloliver4

Recruit
Serial number of outdrive 4112057560 Volvo penta SX Cobra
305 GL Engine

I have 1999 Reinell ski boat good little boat low usage, I am looking for anyone that knows these outdrives, or had similar experiences with:

- When shifting into gear its louder than other boats I have owned with mercs.....Just a louder clank into gear is all.
Should I be concerned? I have changed outdrive gear oils...it has always been clean no shavings

- Also It seems when the engine is full bore and I turn sharp to pick up skier...the engine revs up like the prop stops turning...almost like the prop is spinning on itself....like a bad prop....I have changed props and had similar experiences....again anything gear wise to be concerned with...is this a feature that protects the boat from turning to sharp and dumping the captain?

Any tips would be appreciated, Happy boatin'

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo-Penta Shifting, performance question?

- When shifting into gear its louder than other boats I have owned with mercs.....Just a louder clank into gear is all.

What is your idle rpm? Do you have a SS prop?

Also It seems when the engine is full bore and I turn sharp to pick up skier...the engine revs up like the prop stops turning

The prop is coming out of the water because you are banked over too steep. Don't do that.

mloliver4

Recruit

Thanks for the Bank advice.....I will check the idle RPM, I am running an aluminum prop...should I be running an SS prop

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am running an aluminum prop...should I be running an SS prop

Only if you would rather loose a drive instead of a prop.

Your idle rpm should be between 550 and 650 rpm. (warm engine)